Verizon S7 edge - Nougat Help, Tips & Tricks

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Verizon Nougat Help, Tips & Tricks

I have no desire to spend hours reinstalling apps unless it is a last resort. At least I got my phone functioning to the point of getting screen shots of my apps folder if I do need to reset. So far all is good though.

Out of curiosity, does a reset take you back to Marshmallow, rather than Nougat, if that was originally the version on the phone?
I take screen shots before every major upgrade. But all I do after factory reset, is head to the play store and download ALL the apps I need (I always start fresh setup as well and don't let google restore apps) . When all are downloaded, I install Nova Prime and reload my backup setup that was there before the reset. Voila, all my folders and setup is back to how it was in a second :).

I've been using Nova Prime launcher for years. Can't live without it.

DrifterYank

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

I take screen shots before every major upgrade. But all I do after factory reset, is head to the play store and download ALL the apps I need (I always start fresh setup as well and don't let google restore apps) . When all are downloaded, I install Nova Prime and reload my backup setup that was there before the reset. Voila, all my folders and setup is back to how it was in a second :).

Thanks for the tip. I will keep this for future reference. Hopefully the distant future.

DrifterYank

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

I don't understand your process. What do you mean "download all apps"? All I am familiar with is installing them one at a time from Play Store. I read your description as of some sort of a batch process. Also I looked at Nova Prime and don't understand how this would be used for the purpose you describe.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

Tip of the Day:

You can interact with your music player on the AOD without unlocking your phone. Double tap on the name of the song playing and the pause and skip controls will appear. You can double tap on the controls to interact with them.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

I don't understand your process. What do you mean "download all apps"? All I am familiar with is installing them one at a time from Play Store. I read your description as of some sort of a batch process. Also I looked at Nova Prime and don't understand how this would be used for the purpose you describe.
Download them one at a time yes. I choose to do that. You can of course restore from the last time Google has your apps synced up when you are asked during the initial setup. I like to re-download my apps one at a time after the initial factory reset.

Now back to Nova Prime. Nova is a launcher. So, my folders and screen setup is backed up. You can back it up using Nova backup. Basically, when you reinstall Nova Prime, you can tell it to restore your setup (folders and screens and so forth) to be exactly how you had left them before the factory reset.

DrifterYank

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

Download them one at a time yes. I choose to do that. You can of course restore from the last time Google has your apps synced up when you are asked during the initial setup. I like to re-download my apps one at a time after the initial factory reset.

Now back to Nova Prime. Nova is a launcher. So, my folders and screen setup is backed up. You can back it up using Nova backup. Basically, when you reinstall Nova Prime, you can tell it to restore your setup (folders and screens and so forth) to be exactly how you had left them before the factory reset.

I don't know how you download separately from install. When you go to the Play Store you click on install it downloads and then automatically installs. What I'm I missing?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

I don't know how you download separately from install. When you go to the Play Store you click on install it downloads and then automatically installs. What I'm I missing?
You are not missing anything. Download or install. It's the same action in play store.

derZeck

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site

Android newb here. Would love to ditch the bloatware Verizon loads on the S7e. All the sources I found on the subject seem sketchy and don't want to load a ROM from a sketchy location.

jmunchies1

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Android newb here. Would love to ditch the bloatware Verizon loads on the S7e. All the sources I found on the subject seem sketchy and don't want to load a ROM from a sketchy location.
Package disabler pro. Just disable them, they're not taking up much space anyway.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

All Verizon bloatware can be uninstalled or disabled, except for Voicemail. In settings go to Applications and select the app you would like to get rid of. If Uninstall is greyed out select Disable. Disabling will uninstall any updates to the application and remove it from the App Drawer.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I guess I've been under a rock - I didn't know Nougat was out until I randomly checked for an update. It's installing now but I guess I should have waited with all the problems some are having.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

I guess I've been under a rock - I didn't know Nougat was out until I randomly checked for an update. It's installing now but I guess I should have waited with all the problems some are having.

Glad you finally came out from under that rock, dust yourself off and enjoy! Actually most people are quite pleased with the Nougat update. One of the reasons you are seeing people reporting so many problems is because they don't typically go to forums to tell everyone how great their device is running, they come to find solutions to their problems.

DrifterYank

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

If I'm understanding this right there would be no time savings on the initial set up. If you have to download apps one at a time the only time savings would be after you back up and then reinstall from Nova Prime. I've never had to do a factory reset in 16 years so I don't think it's going to save me anything.

rg_droid

Mar 15, 2017
Visit site

Would you mind describing the order and process of doing the factory reset?

I have not yet downloaded the Verizon Nougat upgrade. I'd like to do so with a minimum of hassle if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for spelling this out for me.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

Tip:

It is a fairly known fact that when you are having problems with your phone performing a cache partition wipe can sometimes help.

There is a lesser known fact that clearing cached data for all apps can also help when you are having problems. Go to Settings > Device maintenance > Storage > Internal storage > Cached data > Clear.

Last edited: