How do I get Google back on my home key long press and not Google Assistance?

TKemist

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
How do I get Google back on my home key long press and not Google Assistance? I don't want to have to talk to my phone everytime I need to search. I turned it off but it still won't go back to jus Google. DGCOMARO… I unstalled recent update as u suggested but now Google force closes. Help???

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The way Google implemented the update, your only real option here is to adjust and move on with Assistant. Google may tweak things a bit to give the option to have some of the older On Tap interface, but trying to go back to the old feature is a losing battle.

In the meantime, you can use the default Google search widget on your homescreen for text interface.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just use the G search widget on the home screen, it still supports typing until Assistant gets that upgrade (soon).

droidtgray

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
How do I get Google back on my home key long press and not Google Assistance? I don't want to have to talk to my phone everytime I need to search. I turned it off but it still won't go back to jus Google. DGCOMARO… I unstalled recent update as u suggested but now Google force closes. Help???

Until they fix this you can go to language settings and change your default language to English us virgin islands. Google assistant does not support this language yet so the home button will now default back to google now with text entry options. There is also home2shortcut in the play store I have used in the past that lets you reprogram some buttons to launch the app you want.

1naturalace

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
US Virign Islands wasn't listed a country for me to select under my Google account and that app will only let you change the double tap home options not long press. I submitted feedback to Google about this but I doubt they actually read our feedback.

droidtgray

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
US Virign Islands wasn't listed a country for me to select under my Google account and that app will only let you change the double tap home options not long press. I submitted feedback to Google about this but I doubt they actually read our feedback.

Go to language and input from settings, the click add language you will get a short abbreviated list there, whike on that page click the three dots on the upper right hand corner and you have the option to add more languages. I think us virgin islands will then show up.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So if anyone want's to get rid of assistant, you have to go to applications in settings and then disable the Google App. While in that screen, tap uninstall updates. I went to the play store after this and searched for the Google app and hit open. It opened and I was then able to setup Google now again so that it opens by holding the home button and Assistant is now gone.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I posted this on another thread:

You might want to try an app like Swipeup Utility. I haven't used this extensively but it lets you change the Device Assistance app (the app that is launched when you press and hold the home button. You can change this to the Google App and you will get the functionality you had before.

Note: if you decide to uninstall Swipeup Utility, before you do so, reset the Device Assistance app to Google Assistant, because otherwise it will be set to None when you uninstall.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49