Why do Samsung phones and other Android phones lose there value so fast compared to iPhones

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My S7 edge has gone down so much... As I was planning to sell it and use the money to an S8 plus. The iPhone still goes down but nowhere as much or as fast.. Why?

gavo360

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Alot of it is down to apple doing a much better job at supporting iphones for years, android phones are almost irrelevant and stop being supported after about 18 months.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Alot of it is down to apple doing a much better job at supporting iphones for years, android phones are almost irrelevant and stop being supported after about 18 months.
18 months? You're lucky if your device is supported a year. I'll be really surprised if the S7 Edge gets Android O. I don't see it happening though.

The iPhone is supported for at least 3 years if not more.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Glad someone chimed in with a reason that didn't attack the other side.

meattray

Trusted Member
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Yeah we still have my wife's old iPhone 5s around here that I fire up once in awhile to see what's new and it's still getting updates. You don't see that kind of support very often

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Glad someone chimed in with a reason that didn't attack the other side.

I've previously used iPhones constantly from the iPhone 4 launch to the iPhone 6 plus. There's no attack at Apple from me just that some people 'must have / have to have an iPhone' so retailers know the prices will be paid.

gavo360

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
18 months? You're lucky if your device is supported a year. I'll be really surprised if the S7 Edge gets Android O. I don't see it happening though.

The iPhone is supported for at least 3 years if not more.

S7 should get Android O. Samsung tend to give the top end galaxy phones two major updates.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Yeah we still have my wife's old iPhone 5s around here that I fire up once in awhile to see what's new and it's still getting updates. You don't see that kind of support very often

Apple do eventually stop iOS updates and eventually new iOS platforms for older.device's. Sometimes they'll allow an update but some of the features are not included. Also older phones can be affected from an allowed update.

meattray

Trusted Member
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Apple do eventually stop iOS updates and eventually new iOS platforms for older.device's. Sometimes they'll allow an update but some of the features are not included. Also older phones can be affected from an allowed update.

Oh absolutely but I can't even remember when the 5S was brought out and it's still getting updates. Yes, some aren't particular and can't be utilized on it and at some point the newer updates can impact the older devices but it's still pretty neat that it's getting support after all these years.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Some think it's because Apple wants a person to be able to pick up any iPhone and know it straight away. That's why the push updates to it. I remember having to pay for iOS updates in the past for my iPod.

They pride themselves on gloating how fractured android can be.

One of the updates I applied to my iPhone 6 Plus nearly crippled it resulting in having to turn off certain features that dumbed it down aesthetically such as Reduce Motion etc.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

This ^^. Apple beats Google at it and Google trounces everyone else at it. Very hard to justify buying devices from anyone that's not Google or Apple.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
My take:

With Apple you don't have the constant churn that out dates a device every 6 months like the Android world has. Because Apple keeps 2 years of phones available to purchase new, they keep the market on those older phones active so resale is higher. You can go to the Apple store and buy the 6S Plus brand new for $650, and because the price usually only drops once a year, you can list your used 6S plus for 500+ dollars and there's a line of people who would gladly pay it.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting. Samsung S5's are around $200, S6's around $300, and S7's around $400. S8's - $900+

The depreciation on these devices is absolutely ridiculous considering the quality of the hardware. But as it was said before, its the support.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
The user base of iPhones is just so much bigger, such that you get better selection of accessories, more 3rd party repairers, much greater parts availability.

Importantly, the local Apple Stores just make it so painless and quick in getting hardware support, like smashed screen, and faulty battery. Even a completely water damaged phone can be replaced in a couple of days at a reasonable cost. As already said, the iCloud or iTunes backup works so wonderfully to restore everything to exactly what it was before.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Support, both in store and online... I have an iPhone 5C from ~early 2013. I replaced the battery 8-9 months ago and I just use it as an ipod / wifi streamer. Its STILL getting iOS updates (!!). Runs fine on them too. I just use it as a backup incase my V10 bootloops, it will buy me some time as I hunt for a deal.

An iPhone can be used for a very very long time, as long as the battery holds up. Android users can only dream of this.

Mirest

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I also think it is partly due to the large competition within the Android market.

There is only one iOS manufacturer who announces a new device once a year, whereas there many Android manufacturers and new Android phones announced almost monthly. Historically goods loose value when there is a new version out in the market, and since there is a bigger flow of new devices coming to market in Android world they loose value faster.

Just my opinion