Two major problems after Nougat update

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Since updating on Tuesday, my Calendar (in Samsung's app) will not sync anymore. ETA: I just checked, and the Google Calendar app doesn't sync either...

Also I cannot access Dropbox files from the Email app to send as attachments - Dropbox is simply not present when trying to attach while composing an email.

I've rebooted, and tried wiping the cache partition. I've also tried to clear the system cache, but I get a message stating "security policy prevents clearing of this app cache".

Those two things have made my workflow very difficult.

Nuisance items include Smart Lock not working consistently anymore, Netflix not showing icon to cast to Chromecast, and constant "Google Play services has stopped" errors.

Can anyone help on the first two, or any of these?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which calendar account are you trying to sync? Is it a Google Calendar account, or an Exchange account?

When you say you tried to clear the system cache and got that message, did you go to the App Manager, select Android System, and try to Clear Cache there? Since it's a system app, I think that's why you can't clear there. But you already wiped the cache partition, which is what I would have suggested in the first place.

MaryS910

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
I sympathize. My screen freezes often or scrolls slowly since the update. Ive cleared caches, uninstalled and reinstalled apps and nothing helps. Ive only had the phone since late June so to be told to do a factory reset seems drastic, especially given how much work it took to set the phone up to begin with and get rid of all the constant advertisements. While I do like some of the features of my S7 Edge, my next phone will probable be an iPhone as the operating system seems much more stable.

illlya

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I sympathize. My screen freezes often or scrolls slowly since the update. Ive cleared caches, uninstalled and reinstalled apps and nothing helps. Ive only had the phone since late June so to be told to do a factory reset seems drastic, especially given how much work it took to set the phone up to begin with and get rid of all the constant advertisements. While I do like some of the features of my S7 Edge, my next phone will probable be an iPhone as the operating system seems much more stable.

My operating system is stable

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
@MaryS910, if you want to stick with Android, I'd suggest a Nexus or Pixel device as your next phone, since they aren't burdened by the additional modifications and bloatware loaded on by the manufacturer and/or the carrier. Having these extraneous apps and services that you can't remove increases the chance that they may conflict with other apps -- and then when it comes time for the manufacturer to work on the next Android version update released by Google, they have to make sure all of these extra bits work correctly with the update. iPhones don't have to deal with this issue, because only Apple makes them, and they control everything in the phone very tightly.

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Which calendar account are you trying to sync? Is it a Google Calendar account, or an Exchange account?

When you say you tried to clear the system cache and got that message, did you go to the App Manager, select Android System, and try to Clear Cache there? Since it's a system app, I think that's why you can't clear there. But you already wiped the cache partition, which is what I would have suggested in the first place.

It's a Google calendar account. You've got it right with the cache wipe; I tried it from the App manager, as I'd seen it suggested elsewhere.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you go to Settings>Accounts-Google and select your account, does Calendar show that it's syncing correctly? Have you tried removing your Google account, then adding it back to the phone?

paulie7880

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
A third problem.... (Possibly true with older software too.) Just downloaded Nugat to My Verizon S7. Going to Japan soon. Could not edit my APN. Added the suggested two lines in my build.prog and now it allows me to edit the Verizon APN, but not "Add" an APN (still greyed out). Any suggestions?

JF2014

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Well, ever since the update to Nougat, this phone gets worse and worse. Weekly I find more features/functions either moved or disabled in such a way that my workflow is broken.

Battery, signal strength and call quality performance are all a fraction of the performance I enjoyed with MM.

Tonight I will try to backup and do a factory reset. If that doesn't solve my issues, I will be smashing this phone with a large hammer and moving on. Will post pics if that's the outcome.

Shame on Samsung for thoroughly botching what used to be an excellent device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs