My Layout Changed after an Android Update

Encrtia

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Literally the title. Everything seems to have gone into "minimalism mode". The Layout's just completely changed.

How can I default it?

http://imgur.com/a/aAhtJ <- this is what I have now; can I get some help please?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you got the Nougat upgrade. You can't remove it and it's better than what you had. Look at this thread for help.

Verizon S7 edge - Nougat Help, Tips & Tricks

Encrtia

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
"and it's better than what you had." It's not.

I'll have a look... any way I can revert? Why did it all of a sudden upgrade mine instead of keeping the usual theme?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No, you can't revert as I said in my first post. And it is better, it just looks like crap. With my own wallpaper and layout I saw no change whatsoever in mine. All of us have been getting the upgrade as it updates the entire OS. You can change wallpaper and themes as you could do before. As I said, I saw no appearance change with mine.

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
"and it's better than what you had." It's not.

I'll have a look... any way I can revert? Why did it all of a sudden upgrade mine instead of keeping the usual theme?
You can change icons, wallpaper, themes, etc. Not sure what you're saying.

Encrtia

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
No, you can't revert as I said in my first post. And it is better, it just looks like crap. With my own wallpaper and layout I saw no change whatsoever in mine. All of us have been getting the upgrade as it updates the entire OS. You can change wallpaper and themes as you could do before. As I said, I saw no appearance change with mine.

Well I certainly saw an appearance change. That's literally my entire point. Prior to this, when I opened a folder, it would open a scroll-downable folder - not a "swipe page" folder. When I brought down the drop down, the layout would be completely different (see below example). I can quite clearly say, the previous layout Was better to me - regardless of however you feel. Coding wise, I'm sure the update was swell.

And you didn't say that - you merely said that I "can't remove it" - which I thought was obvious. Reverting is a whole other concept which I've seen to be an option for advanced users elsewhere - reverting to the previous Marshmellow look or what not.

You can change icons, wallpaper, themes, etc. Not sure what you're saying.

I want the layout to return to how it was. I go into settings, "wallpaper & themes", but all the Themes & Icons are just what my phone has now updated to - no options to select the previous style. It even says recommended & other things I can buy/get for free, but most of them just have "Image errors" with a random "network error" occurring"... whole other issue there..

Anyway; lucky for my, I have a printscreen of the previous layout. Please compare the previous link with the following for CLEAR differences before & after the update. If possible, could you step-by-step aid me in selecting the right icons/themes/whatever if appropriate, to get my layout back to how it was before?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet - After Update
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet - Before Update

gsmismans

Aug 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
Have you been able to restore your previous look already? I have the same thing now, it looks like crap. I have been searching all around, but no solution yet.
Would be great if you could help me further.
THANKS

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, the only real difference I see is you have an additional icon toggle, no names, and the brightness slider is gone (which you can bring back with a toggle if you want).

Whar exactly about the new layout is it you want to change? Because there's no going back to the old without flashing older firmware. And you'll get nagged to update anyway.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Some update or other threw everything out of whack on my phone today. First thing to do is turn off High Performance mode. Then relearn where all your settings, preferences, and themes were...

wdangren

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
I had the same issue, mine changed all the icons larger and removed most of them. It turns out for mine it put it in easy mode even though the standard mode was checked. I went to settings -> display -> Easy mode, then select easy mode, then back to standard and it changed it back to how it was. Again standard was check so I had to check easy mode, then standard, hope this helps.

-Bill