Calendar Notifications Disappear after Nougat Update

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I have used android for years and have an exchange and google calendar on my Verizon S7 Edge running Nougat.

The way calendar notifications worked pre-Nougat was if you have 6 meetings in a day and 1 all day event, if you did not “dismiss” them, they would stay there…..stack up. So your notification swipe would say you have 7 items and you could choose which to update. Now it might only display the first few but you could always get the full list.

Now under nougat I suspected this was happening but just SAW it happen. I had 2 calendar notifications in my notification alert area. A new one popped up while I was using the phone. I did not choose “Snooze” or “Dismiss”. And sure enough when I swiped down, it was there….but my other alert went away!!!

So is there new behavior that after a time has passed, that “meeting” will automatically disappear regardless of whether it was snoozed or ignored? I suspect this because my "all day event" is still there. Is there a number limit? Is there a setting for this in Nougat? Definitely different behavior.

Thanks,
BJB1

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm....I would think once the calender is synced notifications would be controlled by the phones android OS. I know my s7 did not do this pre-android. End of day I would have a list of meetings and perhaps reminders I had in my calendar as notifications I would snooze or dismiss.

I will have to verify with a pre- nougat s7 if I can find one.

Now technically my Google calendar is backed up by MPE, but that should be irrelevant for events as most are entered via the phone.

BJB1

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Google calendar takes the notification down after the event ends. It's done this for a couple of years.

Based on the link below, I am not the only one that thinks this is new behaviour.

https://support.google.com/calendar/forum/AAAAd3GaXpEwDBra5wnryw/?hl=en

Samsung calendar on my S7 Edge pre Nougat kept calendar reminders as a reminder in the notification shade area even after the event passed. I had one S7 that had not updated to nougat and confirmed. It may be a setting somewhere but sure seems like something changed with S7. Not concerned with the Google calendar web interface, never even log into it. Just the phone.

BJB1

Archie Temp

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Based on the link below, I am not the only one that thinks this is new behaviour.

Samsung calendar on my S7 Edge pre Nougat kept calendar reminders as a reminder in the notification shade area even after the event passed. I had one S7 that had not updated to nougat and confirmed. It may be a setting somewhere but sure seems like something changed with S7. Not concerned with the Google calendar web interface, never even log into it. Just the phone.

BJB1

I don't know if it will be the same for you but here is what I found. I use a calendar widget on my home screen that has the 3 dot menu to get to its settings. Under "event filters", the first option is "show events that ended recently" and it was checked to disabled. There are several options including up to "ended yesterday". Sometimes I don't have time to deal with a calendar event and I was losing my reminders too. I had just updated to Nougat recently but didn't realize that they were disappearing prematurely until I forgot something important. Hopefully that works for you.

Archie Temp

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Mine did that after the Nougat update also. I have a calendar widget on my home screen and found it under settings. My widget has 3 dots to get to the settings and then "event filters", "past events" was set to disabled. I set it to yesterday that way it gives me a long time to review calendar events. Hope this works for you.

Chee

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine did that after the Nougat update also. I have a calendar widget on my home screen and found it under settings. My widget has 3 dots to get to the settings and then "event filters", "past events" was set to disabled. I set it to yesterday that way it gives me a long time to review calendar events. Hope this works for you.

Chee

Chee,
Thanks for confirming I am not crazy! So my big question, did you find a way to keep calendar notifications from "disappearing" from the notification shade by themselves? It seems like the reminder stays there when the event starts but goes away after an hour or so. This is such a different work flow I can't believe many more users have not noticed unless it is unique to the S7 Edge verizon or there is a setting or something.

I too use a calendar widget and can use that as a workaround.

BJB1

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This changed about 6 months ago when I was running Android 6.0 on my S6 Active and received an update from AT&T. I didn't notice it at first. I only realized it after I missed a bunch of calendar events that I had set. Apparently Google made a change for the calendar notifications to disappear from the notification bar after the time has passed the end time of the event. I hated the change, as I used to stack reminders well into the day if I couldn't get to something right away. The work around that I have found is, instead of putting a calendar event from like 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. for example, I'll do 3 p.m. to 12 midnight.That way I give myself a long period of time before it'll disappear from my notification bar.

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
This changed about 6 months ago when I was running Android 6.0 on my S6 Active and received an update from AT&T. I didn't notice it at first. I only realized it after I missed a bunch of calendar events that I had set. Apparently Google made a change for the calendar notifications to disappear from the notification bar after the time has passed the end time of the event. I hated the change, as I used to stack reminders well into the day if I couldn't get to something right away. The work around that I have found is, instead of putting a calendar event from like 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. for example, I'll do 3 p.m. to 12 midnight.That way I give myself a long period of time before it'll disappear from my notification bar.

I too have taken to making appointments span hours so if I am late (never happens anyone, right?) like you they still stay in notifications.

This is absurd though. There should be a notification setting that changes the behavior. I missed a meeting yesterday because of this.

Do you think Nougat or a Samsung Calendar update did this?

I wonder if there is a notification app or launcher that could change this behavior...

BJB1

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It is absolutely absurd that they made this change. Not sure who to blame: Samsung or Google. I just updated to 7.0 and thought it might be fixed with the update....no luck obviously. Ugh

Ryanmbahr

May 21, 2017
Visit site
Try setting the "start" and "end" times to the same time. It sounds strange but for whatever reason it's a hack that seems to be working on my S6 ever since the nougat update. Before the nougat update I would juggle 5+ calendar notifications at the top of my screen so, like you, I was perplexed to find notifications disappearing after one hour when the update came. Using the same start/end time prevents each notification from disappearing, so long as you don't dismiss them.

Hope this works for you too!

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for example! I tried it and snoozed it once and it disappeared like the others?

Does yours stay there even if you snooze it? I'm on an S7 Edge.

It goes without saying that this is something that should be fixed or give us a settings option but if this worked at least we can control somewhat.

Do any of the experts here know if this is a Samsung calendar change or a Nougat android change that caused this?

Also curious if this is happening to everyone on nougat. Ifor so, guess not many care? I've seen other more minor changes to android create a furor.

Thanks,

BJB1

Mtngirl24

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
I have an S6 and it has been happening to me since two updates ago. I think it's a Samsung Calendar issue not a Google calendar issue. I only used the Samsung Calendar on my phone and have it sync to my Google Calemdar. I am so frustrated. I relied on my notifications on the top bar drop down and now they disappear after the event ends. I really hope someone at Samsung sees this and they fix it back to the way it used to be. Is there someone we can make a complaint to?

Terry Willard

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I own a LG K20 in which android 7.0 came on it. I use Google calendar all the time. On all of my other devices when Google calendar reminds me, it comes up as a black screen with a red ball with a x in it and if you swipe it to the right it stops reminding you. And there's a orange or yellow ball on lower left corner. You swiped to the left and then the next time you started your device it reminded you again. That is now missing from Google calendar on my android 7.0. Now the reminder is pretty much un-noticeable. I want reminder back. Please! Or let me know how to get it back.20170821_162920.jpg

Last edited:

anon(9246304)

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
We also lost the option to have multiple DEFAULT reminders set up... you now have to manually add each multiple reminder to each event. It also seems that the ones I had previously set up on my phone have since been erased and I have to redo them all????

1mgolvach

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site

BJB1

Hey there, I have an S9 (my s5 just died), but your issue sounds the same. I went through AT&T and Samsung support and the bottom line from Samsung was that they said that was a feature they decided to remove.

In order to get around it (I tested it, and it should work for you too) I had to set all of my calendar events to end much much later than they normally would. Since I get everything on the day of, I changed the end time on all of my events to 23:59 (11:59pm). Now the notifications stay until I dismiss them (unless I forget to do so until midnight). You can set the end date as far into the future as you like. The display isn't quite as pretty (you have to click on the summary tab to see your reminders in a list since they'll all be listed side by side in the calendar) but it keeps those notifications up.

Caveat: If you have future singular events and lots of recurring daily events, you wont be able to see them if you do things this way. What I did to find all those was use the built-in search function and set those events up the same way.

Hope that helps someone out there,

Mike

Gary_Berg

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Try a third-party calendar app. I use Acalendar and my appointment notifications stay until I dismiss them. It uses the Google calendar database.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38