Galaxy S7: Samsung phones are doomed?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking back at the old S7 forums and everyone is having issues with the nougat update. They don't even have a choice and have to upgrade to a slower OS. Is Samsung doing this on purpose to slow down devices? This is why I'm afraid to try Samsung again...

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Nougat has been running just fine on my S7 Edge and it's been on there since it was first available by T-Mobile. For those that are having problems it could be an app on their phone that is not playing nicely with Nougat but Samsung phones are not doomed. I switched over from the iPhone to a S4, Note 5, Note 7, S7 Edge and not a problem with any of them. My Note 7 functioned perfectly and I hated giving it up but due to the recall I returned it and went with the S7 Edge.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Usually, only people with issues are doing the posting, especially if it's a thread named something like "The Nougat update killed my S7". Most people don't check in just to say everything is great since the last upgrade.

ctown81

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking back at the old S7 forums and everyone is having issues with the nougat update. They don't even have a choice and have to upgrade to a slower OS. Is Samsung doing this on purpose to slow down devices? This is why I'm afraid to try Samsung again...

Everyone or just the people on the thread? As forum posters we sometimes think we represent the majority.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I had nougat on my 7edge and didn't have any problems. I have nougat also on my LG v20 which also has no problems. Certainly don't think Samsung is doomed by any means.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pretty close to 100% of consumers are happy with their Nougat update and/or don't even realize their phone was updated.

PauloPImenta

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I have Nougat for the last 2 weeks and it is working flawless. I am using the Blackberry launcher and its BB suite of apps without a single problem. I didn't had to do any master reset. So far, so good!

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Another Nougat update without reset here, just cleared the cache partition. Been working just fine with zero issues. "Everyone", "doomed"? Way off base on both.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Why was this moved to the S7 forums, I'm talking about the S8 and how it might have similar fate to the S7 lol

By similar fate do you mean that for the vast majority of people the update went well and the phone ran as well or better. If that is the case then you are correct.
While i have had no experience with android updates (new convert here), i have seen my fair share of iOS updates and there are always those who have issues, but for most folks it works out well, and for most of the ones with issues once they do a full erase and reset they also have good success.

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
The nougat update has added an hour of SOT to my S7E and it is functioning smoothly and flawlessly with no factory reset involved. In fact it's the smoothest OS update I've had on an Android phone yet. I've even gone back to TouchWiz from Nova.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm also in the 'Nougat just made my phone better' and 'hadn't had an issue' wagon. Only 'issue' was that it was sluggish right after the upgrade, but a reboot fixed that and never looked back.

Lance Redden

May 9, 2016
Visit site

Not sure what everyone's issues are. But the Nougat upgrade for my S7E has been amazing. It's way faster than marshmallow, battery is better and all the visual changes are quite nice.

Could be something in their configuration. Certain apps or launchers might not be compatible. Clearing system cache every once in awhile is good practice.

Getting Nougat for me was like getting a new phone. Sucks people are having problems.

Bichon-Fan

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Count me as another person happy with the Nougat upgrade. My only complaint is that Samsung replaced the Google dialer with their own -- I wish we had the one on the Pixel that shows a red background and "suspected spam caller" when the scammers and robocallers are ringing. But that's just a niggle; it really has been a nice upgrade for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz