how do i disable s7 edge updates and update notifications

Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
so far I have disabled com.sec.android.diagmonagent
not sure if this has helped with the notification poping up but the notification is still by my settings icon how do I disable that also I am on 7.0 fw and I am using package disabler pro to disable packages
any help appreciated thanks also non rooted

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure that there is an easy method for blocking updates or their notifications any more. It was possible with older versions of PDP. During the Note 7 fiasco, when people were blocking the OS update that prevented the phones from charging (recall the effort to get those devices back), the devs updated PDP to remove that capability.

You need to find a version of PDP from before mid-December of last year.

Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
hay it was the system update I was trying to stop witch I have I think as it no longer let's me know there is an update with a notfication on my phone but I do however have a notification by my settings icon letting me know there is an update I want to know how do I remove it see attachments

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170416-120520.jpg
    Screenshot_20170416-120520.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20170416-120446.jpg
    Screenshot_20170416-120446.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 18
Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure that there is an easy method for blocking updates or their notifications any more. It was possible with older versions of PDP. During the Note 7 fiasco, when people were blocking the OS update that prevented the phones from charging (recall the effort to get those devices back), the devs updated PDP to remove that capability.

You need to find a version of PDP from before mid-December of last year.

sure there is no easy way but surely it should be some sort of service and if I disable it then should stop the notifications the only question is what is the name of the service

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It was just a matter of stopping one app. The app you want to stop is COM.SAMSUNG.SDM. You'll need full root now to get to it though.

If you have a Verizon device, I'm not sure I like your chances. I can't say that it's impossible, but I don't know that anyone has defeated Big Red's locked bootloader.

OR

Do a search for an older version of PDP. The rules here prohibit specific instructions and links for such things, but a good search should do you well.

Good luck.

Last edited:

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Those package disablers do more harm than good for the most part, especially if you start disabling things that you aren't sure of.

Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
It was just a matter of stopping one app. The app you want to stop is COM.SAMSUNG.SDM. You'll need full root now to get to it though.

If you have a Verizon device, I'm not sure I like your chances. I can't say that it's impossible, but I don't know that anyone has defeated Big Red's locked bootloader.

OR

Do a search for an older version of PDP. The rules here prohibit specific instructions and links for such things, but a good search should do you well.

Good luck.

guess Ile just have to put up with the update notification for now

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Those package disablers do more harm than good for the most part, especially if you start disabling things that you aren't sure of.

I agree, to a point. PDP is a good tool that serves a purpose for those who know what they are doing. Like anything else on these devices, it remains the responsibility of the user to be careful.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
guess Ile just have to put up with the update notification for now

I've read that stopping COM.SAMSUNG.SDM.SDMVIEWER will stop the notifications. I don't know and I've not tried it though. You can still get to that with PDP.

It likely won't stop the updates from being pushed when you meet whatever condition or time limit your carrier sets. You just won't know that updates are pending. I've had several different Verizon techs (yeah, I know, a nameless Verizon guy said...) and my company's IT chief all tell me that some carriers will push an OS replacement or update when it blocks another update.

In Verizon's case, when there is a security or other update to a new OS that you've avoided, they'll sometimes push the new OS to your phone first and often without your knowledge or any action from you so that they can push the latest update. The same apparently goes for periodic security updates. I had this happen to me last spring and summer with two different devices (LG G4 and Note 4) with the Marshmallow update. I have no reason to expect that things are any different now.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Im on VZW here btw. So if I just keep delaying the update by saying install later, what we are saying in this thread is that eventually, the N update will be installed by VZW forcibly? I have some old VZW phones laying around, and when I power them up it doesn't force an update on them.

Maybe this is something new VZW is doing, or maybe something specific to Samsung phones.

I like the way the S7e is right now on MM. It runs absolutely perfect with good battery life. I don't want to mess with it. It's not worth it to me to upgrade, but I would rather upgrade when it's convenient to me, than forcibly by the Red Devil.

If anyone can figure out a way for non rooted S7e, please post it here. Thanks.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
That was part of why I allowed the update when I was ready for it. In both instances last year, I found the phone was updating on its own in the middle of the day and on the network. I'm told that you get a better update experience when you can keep the phone in one location while downloading the update, because it is possible to corrupt the download file when your connection switches between multiple cell towers. For that reason, I like to do updates when I'm stationary and on WiFi and connected to power. That and OS updates count against your data allowance on Verizon. This one is 1.2GB.

I also like to be able to properly backup my files before an update in the event that the update does not go as planned. I've found that I normally don't need the backup, but the few times that I have not made one are the times that I wanted it. I've not had issues in some time now -- they've gotten really pretty good at this.

I can't tell you which manufacturer's devices the updates get forced to, or if it happens to all of them. For me, it was the LG G4 and my wife's Galaxy Note 4. When I complained, I was told about the updates being forced so the pending updates can be sent. That was my experience. Yours may be different.

From my experience, you're going to at some point wind up with Nougat on your phone unless you are religious about refusing it daily. If you just ignore the update notification long enough, it'll probably happen unless you constantly say no. I ignored it. Big oops.
Better to plan for and do the update on your terms.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Understand that you can do real damage with this tool to the way your phone works. Make sure you understand just what you're disabling and why before you do it. There are a lot of threads over at XDA that deal with PDP in more detail than you'll normally find here.

The items specific to blocking system updates (and not for any other updates from Google) used to be COM.SAMSUNG.SDM and COM.SAMSUNG.SDM.SDMVIEWER. I have no reason to suspect that they have changed from when this functionality was removed last winter, but I've not tried disabling either of these.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
The items specific to blocking system updates (and not for any other updates from Google) used to be COM.SAMSUNG.SDM and COM.SAMSUNG.SDM.SDMVIEWER.

Thank you. Do you see these two packages showing up in the latest version of PDP? When I installed the last version of PDP on the weekend, these two packages were not found anywhere for me to freeze.

I paid for and requested a refund for PDP. I don't want to buy again unless someone can confirm that the SDM packages reappeared in the version released today.

I also read that one can disable OTA update by freezing com.wssyncmldm. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, those are available in yesterday's PDP update. The addition was the COM.SAMSUNG.SDM. The other one was never taken away.

I don't know anything about the other. Again, check over at XDA. The folks over there live and breathe this stuff.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Update

I'm able to freeze com.wssyncmldm using a free app called "package disabler - app freezer" (google it). Follow the instructions on how to use it for non-rooted devices (adb required).

It blocks the phone from looking for OTA updates. However, it doesn't remove the notification badge on Settings icon. Instead, I use ES Explorer to backup the app to SD card. Wipe the phone, set it up in airplane mode, side load the app, do the adb thing and freeze the wssync package. This will stop the badge from ever appearing.