Would lack of SD slot be a deal breaker?

olliegrl

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Coming from iPhone, i was pretty surprised when I saw the s6 didn't have an SD slot...to me that's something that's inherently Android.

I like the smaller size of the s6, but cringe at the thought of no expandable memory.

If the s7 goes down the same path, will some of you jump ship from Samsung? Is it a deal breaker? Has anyone run into issues running out of space on their Samsungs?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't jump from Samsung because of that, I'd keep my current phone. It's definitely a deal-breaker for me. So is a non-removable battery. So far, there's nothing on the market that makes me want to upgrade.

olliegrl

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have an LG V10...and it's amazing don't get me wrong...but it's so big (i have tiny girl hands). I really liked the size of my iPhone 6s and wish that Samsung allowed you to expand the memory. I guess I never went over or came close to 64 GB on my iPhone...but still...it feels weird to not be able to expand.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
It would be a little disappointing, but either way, I'm sticking to my very capable S5 ; P

Posted via the Android Central App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Internal memory is more secure. Some Samsung phones offer 128gb. 64 gb is enough for me. Bottom line is I don't want anything on a removable card that someone can get info or pictures from so I'm glad larger internal memory is offered. It is also faster and uses less power. My beef is the Sammy battery is too small. Make the phone a little thicker to get 5000 mAh in there. New phones are too thin anyway. Just makes them harder to hold. Of course Samsung also overcharges for the extra memory which sucks.

olliegrl

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I didn't like my iPhone because it was hard to hold. There doesn't seem like there will be any huge differences between the s6 and the s7. So I might just get the 6.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I did not get a S6 due to lack of SD card and non removable battery. No SD card means I'll stay away from the S7 and Samsung and go to Sony for my next phone.

Posted from my kicking Samsung Note4 on Lollipop 5.1.1

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
wish that Samsung allowed you to expand the memory.
The card doesn't expand the memory (as in RAM), it expands the storage (as in hard drive) - but only for data. There are a number of reasons to not run apps on the card, one of which s that the card isn't designed for that, and even a good card can get permanently corrupted in a short time running apps from it.

Project Ara is doing it the right way - modular phones. So you buy a phone with 32GB of internal storage. When you eventually need more, you buy a 64GB module and replace the phone's storage module. Like putting a larger hard drive in a desktop.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If the S7 has SD slot, isn't that like a big slap in the face of those of us who bought S6 & Note 5?

If the S7 has SD slot, isn't that like a big slap in the face of those of us who bought S6 & Note 5?

It took me a while to accept the lack of MicroSD card slot in the Note 5, but I eventually gave in and bought it.

If Samsung does a 180 and bring it back, should I feel insulted?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: If the S7 has SD slot, isn't that like a big slap in the face of those of us who bought S6 & Not

I guess they figured the lower then expected sales for the S6 and Note 5 were related to not having an SD card slot and replaceable battery.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: If the S7 has SD slot, isn't that like a big slap in the face of those of us who bought S6 & Not

It's like Samsung tried something, it fell on its face, and they learned something. I wouldn't count on it, though. Companies that large usually have to fall on their faces more than once before they get the idea that their way just isn't the way their customers want. (It's why I wouldn't upgrade from a Note 3 to a Note 5 for free. As the commercial says, no SD slot, no removable battery, NO STARS!)

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
While it would be nice to have an SD Card just to offload all my music I don't want to stream, it is not a deal breaker for me. To be honest, the biggest attraction I have to the S7 will be Samsung Pay. That is why I bought the S6. I really would like for it to have a bigger battery on the S7 though!!!!

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
wouldn't be a deal breaker ... that, a larger battery, better RAM management, continued TW improvement, front speakers, USB-C and force touch are on my wish list ... I don't expect all of em to make the cut!

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The card doesn't expand the memory (as in RAM), it expands the storage (as in hard drive) - but only for data. There are a number of reasons to not run apps on the card, one of which s that the card isn't designed for that, and even a good card can get permanently corrupted in a short time running apps from it.

Project Ara is doing it the right way - modular phones. So you buy a phone with 32GB of internal storage. When you eventually need more, you buy a 64GB module and replace the phone's storage module. Like putting a larger hard drive in a desktop.

project ara? lol, i hope I'm wrong but I suspect that's another Google project we'll never see

fasali87

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the S5 now with an SD card, so if the s7 comes with it, I'll definitely buy it.. otherwise not...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I guess they figured the lower then expected sales for the S6 and Note 5 were related to not having an SD card slot and replaceable battery.

And I'd think they'd be missing the mark. I think lower than expected sales stems from the shift in the market to better value, phones of equivalent performance (or close enough performance) for several hundred dollars less. As consumers are becoming more exposed to the actual cost of their phones, they start to get a bit less fast and loose. Samsung's been one of the lone holdouts, refusing to budge on their device margins.

The way I see it (!personal opinion alert!), the mass market doesn't really concern themselves too much with expandable storage. Some use it, some don't, but a small percentage is really passionate about having it. At least here in the US, half the smartphone users right off the top couldn't care less about expandable storage (iPhone users, many picking up the 16G models no less) and of the Android users, I'd be really curious to see what percentage of those who have phones that have an SD slot actually use it. I just don't think that percentage is as high as the diehards expect it to be. It might be a hot topic here on Android Central, but we're up to our eyeballs in selection bias... we're mostly enthusiasts.

Yes, there are most definite use cases for expandable storage, but as native storage options increase and access to cloud storage becomes more pervasive, an SD card slot's importance has waned.

Now.... Samsung could very well bring back the SD card with the S7/N6... but if they do so and drop it on us with a pricing structure that's similar to the current generation, well, I think they are setting themselves up for disappointment yet again.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
No. internal storage is Much faster. I wouldn't use the SD card slot even if it does have it.
I just buy the larger storage, 64GB. Plenty of room for me.
Hope it's there for those that want it.

Mark Kennedy4

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Not everyone wants to spend the money for more storage. Plus they discontinued the 128gb. I keep all my music on my s5 SD card. If the s7 doesn't have expandable memory I'm going over to lg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995