Which phone to get - S7 or G5?

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I am replacing my iPhone 5S with a new work phone. I personally carry a Note 5 with me for my personal stuff, but I don't want an iPhone for work any more. Now they allow android devices which have to be purchased directly from AT&T. So, I have waited past my time of replacing it to see the new S7 and G5. I am not wanting to carry two large phones with me (S7 Edge and my Note 5). So one smaller would help. I really wanted them to keep the size of the S6 edge, but that was one thing that made me sad to see.

Any recommendations between them you guys can help with?

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Which phone to get s7 or G5?

The decision is all up to you. Buy one and try it out before the grace period is over to return it

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Since you are asking here, you know what to expect. Yeah, I'd go with S7. G5 is nice phone too and modular things are interesting. But I like regular S7 better. It's a little smaller with more screen to bezel ratio, bigger battery, water-proof and likely win on camera performance. Knox security on work is now pretty mature. It simply delivers better on where it matters to me mostly. That is unless if you really like modular battery, camera, media players in G5.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

S7 all the way! G5 is a G4 with bad design. After you're done playing with the mods, you're left with a very ugly but functional phone. In the G4 you get a good looking functional and cheap-er phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

I am leaning towards the s7 myself. Just deciding between the s7 and the edge now. The S7 edge is slightly smaller than my Note 5 it said. Hmmm.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

5.1" is the single biggest factor that would make me switch back to Sammy. I just can't get into the big phones anymore.

legin111

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

5.1" is the single biggest factor that would make me switch back to Sammy. I just can't get into the big phones anymore.

I'm with you on This one. I think that Samsung nailed it with the s7. When I had the s6 for a week I love the size but could not get past the bad battery, so I went for the G4 . Now that hopefully they corrected the flaws I seen I think I'm on board for the s7. The g5 is hard to get by the looks of the back. I'll play with both of them before I choose and maybe not pick one up until I hear some reviews of the battery but the s7 is most likely my next phone

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
No one, and I mean NO ONE, can answer your question as asked. We don't know what your use cases are, what you use your phone for, what features are most important. For example, do you frequently run out of battery before the end of the day? Then a replaceable battery might be really important to you. Or do you have wireless chargers already in place everywhere you spend time? Then the fact that the LG doesn't offer that may make it a non-starter. Do you do swimming pool maintenance? Waterproofing matters. Asking what phone I think is best is irrelevant if my needs and usage patterns are completely different than yours.

Now that I've gotten used to a 5.5" screen, I think I'd find the S7 too small. The S7 edge looks interesting, though. But you might prefer a smaller phone. Like I said, what I like isn't necessarily relevant to what you need.

My suggestions:

1. Make a list of what you really like and dislike about your current phones.
2. Make a list of what features you wish your phones had.
3. Wait until there are real reviews of the phones published. Make decisions based on real information, not the hype that comes out of these product announcements.
4. Compare your lists of likes / dislikes / wants and needs to the features and performance of the phones, and decide for yourself which better meets YOUR needs. Then do the same with other available phones. You might find neither of these phones is best for you. Just because they're the newest doesn't mean they're the best.
5. Wait until the units are in the hands of real users for a few weeks, and see what issues arise that reviewers didn't notice, or didn't tell you about.

Finally. Make up your own mind. Don't let us decide what's best for you.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

I'm with you on This one. I think that Samsung nailed it with the s7. When I had the s6 for a week I love the size but could not get past the bad battery, so I went for the G4 . Now that hopefully they corrected the flaws I seen I think I'm on board for the s7. The g5 is hard to get by the looks of the back. I'll play with both of them before I choose and maybe not pick one up until I hear some reviews of the battery but the s7 is most likely my next phone

I have the G4 also and it's just too big, I miss one handing these things and having them disappear in my pockets, the G4 was neither. I'm ok with Sammy stuff, I've had them before. Don't care about the looks, it's a phone and I wind up putting a case on it, albeit a VERY thin case.

BTW...nothing wrong with the G4, nice phone...just too big.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
S7 is solid, they fixed most of the problems with the S6, bigger battery, SD card, smaller camera hump, better ergonomics with bevelled back, better camera.

dreaming of electric sheep

girinath

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
What are your most important needs for a smartphone?
Describe your needs and it will be easier to point out the best phone for you

Posted via the Android Central App

SZQnl

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Think I'll go with the S7 this time unless something better is announced before it's available to buy.

Currently have the LG G2 and was hoping that they would create a genuine successor but as much as I admire LG's bold approach and inventiveness, I prefer the S7's more polished refined product and the improvements they have made. Although, I'm glad LG took that approach as it means the G5 is very different to the S7 and gives people a distinct choice instead of just having to choose between basic specs such as speed or display tech, and price etc.

I prefer 5.0"-5.2" phones due to them being easier to use single-handed and more comfortable to hold. The LG G5 is just too large given the 5.3" display and reduced battery. Not sure why they increased the bezels so much. The S7 on the other hand managed to be slightly shorter and narrower than the S6 with the same display size. Also, can't believe that Samsung actually listened, a bit thicker to accomodate a larger battery!!! No more idiotic obsession to be thinner than the rest.

S7 Edge looks great but I know the regular S7 will be much more comfortable for me to use on a daily basis. Shame about lack of FM Radio and IR but I can manage without those. Also, not a fan of glass on the back despite how great it looks in press shots. But the larger battery, compact size, amazing camera, dual-sim support, and fast wireless charging is just a winning combination for me.

Can't wait to finally upgrade after almost 2 years!

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
S7 piques my interest more. I had both the s6e and g4 and I preferred the s7 camera because the g4 focus time took long in low light motion.I had 2 g4's too, and both had the same issue. If what Samsung is saying is true, then the s7 would be a great camera for my needs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia