How much better is the S7 camera supposed to be when compared to S6 or Note 5?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
how much better is the S7 camera supposed to be when compared to S6 or Note 5?

Samsung only showed photos taken side-by-side by the S7 and iPhone 6s for comparison. The S7 was way better than the iPhone 6s, obviously. I'm wondering why they didn't also do a comparison between the S7 and the S6(or Note5)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: how much better is the S7 camera supposed to be when compared to S6 or Note 5?

Mostly because you wouldn't see much of a difference unless it was low-light photography. Yeah, the sensor has 'less pixels' (but in all honesty, most people shouldn't even be shooting at full res anyway), but in overall image quality, the sensor is improved with bigger pixel size and a better lens, so it's probably going to perform better in low light, but just as good in well-lit scenes. Autofocus is supposed to be faster and more accurate on the S7 though.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: how much better is the S7 camera supposed to be when compared to S6 or Note 5?

Mostly because you wouldn't see much of a difference unless it was low-light photography. Yeah, the sensor has 'less pixels' (but in all honesty, most people shouldn't even be shooting at full res anyway), but in overall image quality, the sensor is improved with bigger pixel size and a better lens, so it's probably going to perform better in low light, but just as good in well-lit scenes. Autofocus is supposed to be faster and more accurate on the S7 though.

I assume the camera alone isn't enough to make one "upgrade" from a Note 5 to the new S7? :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I assume the camera alone isn't enough to make one "upgrade" from a Note 5 to the new S7? :)
For me, it might be. Low light motion on the note 5 is lacking, and the s7 is supposed to be better in both low light and motion.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

For me, it might be. Low light motion on the note 5 is lacking, and the s7 is supposed to be better in both low light and motion.

In certain low-light or no-light conditions, even my LG G4 can easily outperform my Galaxy Note 5, which is why I'm interested in getting the S7 just for its improved camera. :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd wait until I see some actual samples and maaaaybe SloMo footage (yes, the Note 5 is still crappy in SloMo, just not as crappy as it was before). The waterproofing does catch my eye, but the 32-GB-only draws me away (and I'm not a fan of the new, rounder design). But the main thing why I might not part ways with my Note 5 is the S-Pen. I've missed it before, I know I'd miss it again haha.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

In certain low-light or no-light conditions, even my LG G4 can easily outperform my Galaxy Note 5, which is why I'm interested in getting the S7 just for its improved camera. :)
I would agree with low light... But not low light motion shots. My g4 took forever to focus on low light motion,way longer than my note 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21