Galaxy S7 - Bloatware

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Bloatware doesn't bother me. The first day I get a phone, I delete what I can and disable or stop running what I can. Then I move everything to a page I don't look at. With the extra MicroSD memory, I feel I have enough to function really well. If I go psycho I can find a program on my laptop to permanently delete an app. I had DT Ignite on my Droid Turbo 2, a most annoying app. I disabled it and it has stayed disabled. Don't even think about it.

Christine Aflak

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Bloatware

Thank you! I don't know why people freak the **** out over this. That's the beauty of android, either hide it or disable it. I use package disabler pro.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(730457)

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

There's bloatware you can't uninstall or disable that uses up battery, processor, and internet, and can cause compatibility issues and crashes with certain features or apps or websites; just having to uninstall and disable is annoying enough, but having to put up with manufacturer or carrier gunk that junks up the phone can be a problem.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Not forgetting also, that certain carrier models will have the bloatware built in to the O.S. and unless you are rooted and can remove it from the system and re-partition, you stand to lose as much as 1.5GB or more of user storage, as in the case of the Galaxy S5 on AT&T and Verizon cloneware.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Thank you! I don't know why people freak the **** out over this. That's the beauty of android, either hide it or disable it. I use package disabler pro.

Hiding and disabling the bloat doesn't free up the ROM they waste. Even if you delete them, you don't really get the storage back, because it's part of the system partition, which you can't shrink without really getting deep into the phone.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Try disabling Carrier IQ bloatware in ATT and good luck with disabling that as well.

Agree that most of the time, pre installed apps can be disabled it there are some services that you will not be able to disable and they certainly take up RAM in carrier versions.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

When we get OTA updates from Verizon (such as early this morning), does using PD to debloat the phone, cause OTA's to not install? Do I have to be mindful to keep the bloatware "safe" somewhere for possible future reloading to prevent OTA update failures, or for any other reasons? I've only read a bit on the Play Store about PD, but am not totally understanding what the ramifications are. About all I've done so far to some of the bloat is to disable it in Application Manager, which isn't much of a solution as we all know.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Package Disabler says it shut down Knox (hides it) but Gsam still shows it as sucking battery anyway. Also be careful because if you use the auto disable it shut down the gallery app, ability to edit etc.

Make it so.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I was actually surprised that Verizon didn't put the normal bloat on the phone. Normally there 37 games on it along with a ton of apps. This time there was only their branded apps. Nothing like before. But in reality there should be zero apps besides essential stuff. Let the end user decide what they want.

We don't need Verizon deciding for us

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Package disabler works great.

Just to clarify...this is good to know about. I simply hadn't heard of it until this thread. Now we evidently have 2 tools. I hope someone puts together a list like the ones I had for my Note 3 and Note 4

Galagian

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed much less mandatory bloat with T-Mobile than with Sprint. That was a very pleasant surprise, considering how much cheaper T-Mobile service is.