Should I get a screen protector for the S7?

SR45

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
I never had screen protector. I think good, quality case will do better job of protecting my phone's screen than screen protector.

......but you said "Screen protector will not save your phone from a drop and it looks ugly" and that was what I was responding to. Cases and screen protectors for me. Only need to have one bad drop, and some na sayers will wish they did have one.

keirmeister

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I haven't used a screen protector on a phone since my iPhone 3GS, and have never regretted it.

...Until my Galaxy S6 edge. It was doing well - clear, wonderful screen...no scratches. Then I bough the Samsung Clear S-View case for it.

Samsung's own case created unremovable blemishes on the screen! It took them forever to own up to it, and by the time I found out Samsung was doing replacements, it was too late.

I'm upgrading to the S7 edge - not just for the return of expandable storage, but also to have a clear screen again! And this time I'm going to add on a screen protector. You never know who or what will create some irreversible blemishes on these expensive phones; and if I can't trust the phone's manufacturer not to screw it up, I can't trust anyone else either.

trekmatt

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I haven't used a screen protector on a phone since my iPhone 3GS, and have never regretted it.

...Until my Galaxy S6 edge. It was doing well - clear, wonderful screen...no scratches. Then I bough the Samsung Clear S-View case for it.

Samsung's own case created unremovable blemishes on the screen! It took them forever to own up to it, and by the time I found out Samsung was doing replacements, it was too late.

I'm upgrading to the S7 edge - not just for the return of expandable storage, but also to have a clear screen again! And this time I'm going to add on a screen protector. You never know who or what will create some irreversible blemishes on these expensive phones; and if I can't trust the phone's manufacturer not to screw it up, I can't trust anyone else either.

What marks did it make on the screen?

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
The phone comes with latest Corning Gorilla glass protection..so there should be no need to use any screen guard for the phone.

There should be no need to use any screen guard FOR YOU AND YOUR PHONE!

In my case, I always have tempered glass screen and case ready before I get my phone!
I will not use my phone without a tempered glass!

Again, I am speaking for MYSELF!

DroidBoy82

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
It's really just gonna be personal preference. That being said, I've personally never used a screen protector on any of my phones and I've never had so much as a blemish on any of my screens. I always prefer a case with the front edges elevated just enough to keep the phone screen from ever touching a surface. Accidentally dropped phones several times with these cases on and no damage at all. This is all just personal experience though. Obviously results may vary.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I always use screen protectors, preferably tempered glass ones... Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. And it's a lot easier to replace a $10 screen protector than pay $200+ for a new screen (the S7 Edge replacement panel isn't going to come cheap).

There are cheap protectors and good quality ones... there are even good quality plastic ones that don't have that plastic wrap feel. Now, I did see a story where someone will start to make TG ones for the Edge now. I'd be nervous to have those bends sticking out there unprotected.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
When I get a new phone I put an enexpensive case and screen protector. They protect the phone in case i need to return it in the first 14 days. After that I may get a better case and screen proctor.

Posted via the Android Central App

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
No. Screen protector will not save your phone from a drop and it looks ugly

In my personal experience, I have seen 2 times where someone dropped a phone with a tempered glass protector and the protector broke while the phone screen stayed intact. Now I am not saying that the drop would have broken the phone screen, but I have been putting tempered glass protectors on my devices for a little while now, and after those 2 incidents, if it is possible, I will always put a tempered glass protector on my phone.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
In my personal experience, I have seen 2 times where someone dropped a phone with a tempered glass protector and the protector broke while the phone screen stayed intact. Now I am not saying that the drop would have broken the phone screen, but I have been putting tempered glass protectors on my devices for a little while now, and after those 2 incidents, if it is possible, I will always put a tempered glass protector on my phone.
I would imagine that protective screen would be more useful if phones is dropped on gravel as oppose to asphalt

everlightdark

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Screen protectors are really nice to have if you dont want to be constantly wiping your phone because of fingerprints and grime!!

Posted via the Android Central App

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
It is all personal choice. I personally like having the peace of mind that the screen has a protector and the phone is in a case. I stick with tempered glass protectors, only issue is with the s7's slight curve makes for a irritating experience withe collecting dust on the sides.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'll be putting a ZAGG (military grade) Invisashield on my S7. I have them on my S5 and my Galaxy Note 2014 Edition. The GN2014 has had it since Dec 2013 and the S5 since May of 2014. Both are still perfectly attached. For some reason I dug a fingernail into the ZAGG so hard that it left an indention. I knew it was supposed to be "self healing" and sure enough, in a few minutes it was back to normal :)
Is that the same one VZW sells? Mine sucked. Bubbles wouldn't go away. Peeled up at bottom too.

TechReviews1

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I have had many phones now and I install screen protectors on all of my phones. Actually, I always install glass screen protectors on my phones as this is much better than just a regular plastic screen protector. I always install screen protectors, regardless, because you never know what might happen with your phone. Even though I am usually pretty careful with my phones, I never know when my screen might drag across a sharp item to scratch my whole screen in many places. Glass also provides more protection than plastic on phone screens. This is all just "in my experience". I hope this helps in making your decision!

CladWell

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I have had many phones now and I install screen protectors on all of my phones. Actually, I always install glass screen protectors on my phones as this is much better than just a regular plastic screen protector. I always install screen protectors, regardless, because you never know what might happen with your phone. Even though I am usually pretty careful with my phones, I never know when my screen might drag across a sharp item to scratch my whole screen in many places. Glass also provides more protection than plastic on phone screens. This is all just "in my experience". I hope this helps in making your decision!

Do you have a glass screen protector on your S7? If so, could you recommend one?