New to Samsung TouchWiz: How does it compare to stock Android?

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously considering the s7, but up to this point I have always had something from the moto droid line. I've heard mixed reviews about touchwiz over the years, just looking for comments about how it compares to the mostly stock Android of moto, and couldn't I just replace it with Nova launcher anyway? Thanks for your input . . .

Posted via the Android Central App

Alley Viper

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Touchwiz has slowly been evolving into something people can like.

Ive always used a launcher but i think ill give touchwiz a try for a bit.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
A launcher would certainly help but it won't remove all aspects of touchwiz

In your opinion what would be some of the things about touchwiz that might be bothersome? I realize this is a highly subjective question, but as a moderator I would guess you are generally aware of what the "issues" are that some folks have.

Ryan Tomkins1

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I've used Touchwiz for many years, and I've never had any problems with it or the look for that matter but that's just me. As dpham mentions a launcher will help but it won't remove all aspects.

Titan206

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty new to TouchWiz, and I have found a few annoyances already.

For example, T-Mobile bloatware is all over this phone. I keep getting popups for the new game launcher.

To me, there is a pretty big difference between TouchWiz and stock Android. However, there are some nice additions that don't exist in stock Android, so it's not all bad.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In your opinion what would be some of the things about touchwiz that might be bothersome? I realize this is a highly subjective question, but as a moderator I would guess you are generally aware of what the "issues" are that some folks have.

It has to do with the interface... The notification menu, the physical and capacitive keys, the color scheme (although that can be reduced by choosing a different theme), and icons (which can be changed with a third party launcher and icon pack) . Also, Samsung has a different memory management style than stock Google.

Personally nothing really bothers me about the interface itself (I actually prefer touchwiz over stock Google), however the slow updates are a constant drag on most non Google phones. My Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is still on November security patch.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty new to TouchWiz, and I have found a few annoyances already.

For example, T-Mobile bloatware is all over this phone. I keep getting popups for the new game launcher.

To me, there is a pretty big difference between TouchWiz and stock Android. However, there are some nice additions that don't exist in stock Android, so it's not all bad.
There's base Android (aosp), then Google additions, Samsung additions, and carrier additions.

"touchwiz" refers to Samsung additions. Carrier additions also apply to carrier verisons of other Android phones not manufactured by Samsung.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried to do that for the pre-installed T-Mobile account app, but I can't disable or uninstall it. Quite annoying.
Try using package disabler from the play store. On the s6/note 5, I was able to disable practically all bloat.