Question about increasing longevity of battery life

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am not getting the Galaxy S7 and currently have a Galaxy S5 with an extended MPJ battery. Because the Galaxy S7 uses the older micro USB charging port, I have a question about potentially increasing the longevity of the battery.

I charge my extended battery usually overnight not with the standard 2A charger, but with a charger from a Sony camera. This charger is only 0.5A which is only a quarter of the current. I figure a quarter current charger is much kinder to the battery as it would generate far less heat and internal battery friction which ultimately causes battery degradation. Interestingly, the original battery would not charge at 0.5A. Instead I would have to charge at a miminum 0.65A from another cable. Which is still only a third of the current compared to the original Samsung charger.

If I had the Samsung Galaxy S7, would I be promoting battery longevity by avoiding the standard heavy current quick charging? And instead charging it using a different cable at 3 to 4 times less current, ( and obviously 3 to 4 times longer charging time, so most probably an overnight charge).

bchain996

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
I am not getting the Galaxy S7 and currently have a Galaxy S5 with an extended MPJ battery. Because the Galaxy S7 uses the older micro USB charging port, I have a question about potentially increasing the longevity of the battery.

I charge my extended battery usually overnight not with the standard 2A charger, but with a charger from a Sony camera. This charger is only 0.5A which is only a quarter of the current. I figure a quarter current charger is much kinder to the battery as it would generate far less heat and internal battery friction which ultimately causes battery degradation. Interestingly, the original battery would not charge at 0.5A. Instead I would have to charge at a miminum 0.65A from another cable. Which is still only a third of the current compared to the original Samsung charger.

If I had the Samsung Galaxy S7, would I be promoting battery longevity by avoiding the standard heavy current quick charging? And instead charging it using a different cable at 3 to 4 times less current, ( and obviously 3 to 4 times longer charging time, so most probably an overnight charge).
I think you're way overthinking it and it sounds like you upgrade way before doing that would pay off..

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you want to increase battery life, just turn off fast charging, . Beyond that, don't think it would make a noticeable difference.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1