Power Button and Volume down button both stopped working, anyone else experience this?

nomadrobot

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I've had my phone for about a week now (normal s7) and had this happen this morning. Power button wouldn't turn on screen/do anything and volume down wouldn't do anything. Had to use the home button to get the screen to respond. After holding down the power button and volume down I was able to reset the phone and the issue is no longer present. Should I just assume this was some kind of software hiccup or should I go the route of trying to get it replaced for being defective? I've seen a few posts on reddit and some other forums, seems like an issue that is starting to pop up for quite a few people. Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'd guess that it's a software issue--either some 3rd party app that's causing the problem, or some glitch in the firmware. You could try booting into Safe Mode, but if this doesn't happen often, it can be tedious to try to narrow it down.

nomadrobot

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi B Diddy, thank you for that, glad to be here. I might hold onto it and see if I can recreate the issue before I warranty it as defective. However, you mentioned it can be tedious to track down issues like this and it has only happened once in the past week. Would you just warranty the thing and get a new one in my situation or brush it off as app related for now? I believe its $5 to get them to send a brand new one out to me, currently. Thanks again for the reply!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If it's less than 2 weeks old, bring it back to the store and ask for a replacement--they shouldn't charge you for that. I'd take advantage of the return window while you can--if the problem gets worse in the future, then you'll have to go through Samsung's warranty process, which will take longer and be more of a hassle. Even if it's been more than 2 weeks, ask the store if they'll still replace it.

nomadrobot

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately, after a call to the store I pre-ordered at, they told me the only way to get it replaced is to call T-Mobile. Hopefully it isn't too much of a hassle. Thanks for the info.

spencer72

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Mine started the same exact thing last night. 4 days out of the box, power button and volume down stopped working. Will be replacing, not trying to patch up with a "fix" this early on. Also, all the apps on the new phone are the same apps from my HTC one that I used for 2.5 years without problems. Hopefully it's not going to be a known issue.

Barbo232

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Bought GS7 edge at 5:00 pm. Buttons stopped working at 7:00 pm. Beyond disappointed right now. Don't know if I need to bring it in for a new one or if I can fix it on my own?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, this is a little concerning. I'd bring it back to the store to get a replacement. If it's too late to do that, contact Samsung directly for warranty repair or replacement.

Hopefully this doesn't become even more common.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Well mine just decided to turn itself off after that annoying SD mounting popped up and I tried to clear it. It wouldn't power back on at first. After 20 seconds it finally powered back on but the screen was dim.

nyoung3708

May 23, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me to be a software issue as I factory reset the phone and the problem cleared up. However, it just happened to me again after a day of not installing anything new and it is definitely frustrating. Maybe we can all compare apps to see if we can narrow down the culprit.

Things I've used today:
Camera
Truedialer
Nova
Samsung Pay
Textra
Clash Royale (Last thing i was doing before the malfuciton.)

Screenshot_20160312-192942.jpgScreenshot_20160312-192946.jpgScreenshot_20160312-192938.jpg

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
It is 100% software. If it weren't, holding down the two buttons that supposedly aren't working wouldn't fix it.

Posted via the Android Central App

tonyhhisc

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I just bought my s7 yesterday. Everything was fine last night, I spent 2 hours transferring all my data and setting up new apps. This morning while making a call, I tried to use the volume down button and nothing happened, then power button and same thing. I rebooted after reading here and now it's working again.

I hope it doesn't come back... I was really getting excited about this phone. And I really hope it doesn't make me regret choosing this over the Droid Turbo2 which I was talked out of by the verizon sales guy.

Hope someone finds out if its an app causing it or what.....

Cheers!

Tony :confused:

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I just bought my s7 yesterday. Everything was fine last night, I spent 2 hours transferring all my data and setting up new apps. This morning while making a call, I tried to use the volume down button and nothing happened, then power button and same thing. I rebooted after reading here and now it's working again.

I hope it doesn't come back... I was really getting excited about this phone. And I really hope it doesn't make me regret choosing this over the Droid Turbo2 which I was talked out of by the verizon sales guy.

Hope someone finds out if its an app causing it or what.....

Cheers!

Tony :confused:

Yea it is frustrating. But mine has only done it once and that's it. Like I said, it's truly impossible that it's some hardware defect because the two buttons that are supposedly broken are the two buttons you use the fix the device.

Posted via the Android Central App

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
my s7 just experienced the power/volume down button this morning. I held down the powe/volume down and was able to boot to safe mode and buttons worked fine. then rebooted normally and all is fine. definitely appears to be a software bug and not hardware related.

Sledneck322

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Same issue for me. I got the phone last wednesday and all was good until today. Held power and volume down buttons, did a restart and is good to go for now but we will see if this is an issue that revisits....hopefully not.

ystek

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Same issue as well. Power + volume down button for restart "fixed" the issue. Anyone have any ideas/details as to the actual cause of the software issue?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown