SD card unmounting/ejecting all on its own

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I just happen to catch a set of notifications on my s7 where the SD was being ejected and mounted again. My phone is just charging and I was not doing anything other than powering on the phone to the lock screen.
1) this explains the random SD card notification that appears from time to time even though there was no phone restart
2) this likely explains why when an app is moved to SD, the app drawer shortcut switches between non-working and working at random times.

hopefully an update from Samsung can fix this issue. Or this could be a hardware SD card problem. I have the Samsung 64GB class 10 sd card from the Best Buy bundle.

kmod75

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I get this all the time, too. Notification keeps popping up. It doesn't mount or unmount....it just simply keeps popping up on the notification screen. Very annoying.

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Same issue here with the SanDisk Extreme 64GB Class 10 U3. I've only seen the notification pop up when I power up the phone. It swipes away easily. There appears to be no issue with reading the card because I can take photos and they store to the card and I can easily read them on the device.

bilbobaggins928

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I'm using the PNY 64 GB U3 card. It ejects itself and re-mounts itself many times throughout the day, especially when I'm downloading files to the SD card. Sounds like it might be an OS issue with the S7? Or possibly even a loose connection inside the sim/micro sd slot? I doubt it's the SD card, sounds like we're all using different brands.

Spadechaotic

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
I've had the same problem since Monday. FB msgd Samsung support and they recommended to put it in safe mode. Oddly enough, for 12 hours, I haven't had a Unmounting notification.

Spadechaotic

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
I deleted a soccer goal game and power cleaner, to wipe ram and delete unnecessary files, and the unmounting has stopped. Check your apps.

Posted via the Android Central App

rdrive41071

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
No issue with my 32gb samsung pro card. I just popped it in and done - didn't have to format or anything, no problems at all. I think it's safer to use samsung rather than other sd card brands. I remember I had the same issues some of you are having when I used a scan disk on my galaxy s5, I now always use samsung cards with samsung phones.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
No issue with my 32gb samsung pro card. I just popped it in and done - didn't have to format or anything, no problems at all. I think it's safer to use samsung rather than other sd card brands. I remember I had the same issues some of you are having when I used a scan disk on my galaxy s5, I now always use samsung cards with samsung phones.

Umm the OP has a Samsung card. :p

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine yesterday and today I'm seeing the same issue. The damn sd card keeps popping up and I have to keep removing it. It's gotten better now but just about 30 minutes ago, some of my apps vanished that I had installed on the microSD card. The apps return after a few minutes and the sd card thing popped up again. I have a Samsung Evo+ 64G.

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
For about 18 hrs I had no random sd card notifications or unmounting. Until this morning when I charged the phone with the fast charger that came with the phone. The SD notification popped up within a few minutes.
I've been using the fast charger since I got the phone. I'm going to try using only my anker charger to see if the random sd notifications go away.

Spadechaotic

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
My notifications came back and that's without charging. Just normal use. Deleting an app at a time to figure out what's doing it.

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
so within the past 2 days:
-(since day 1 of getting the phone) if I use the included fast charger, I get sd card notifications/unmounting: 1) when the phone is charging 2) within a few hours after I unplug the phone from the fast charger
-if I use a normal charger, like the Anker powerport 10 and never use the fast charger, no sd card notifications when charging or after charging...so far.

It seems like the fast charger is the culprit for me. I still want to see if the sd card notifications truly disappear after several more days of not using the fast charger at all.

Vinegaria

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi there!

I had this same issue and tried many different strategies (factory reset, changing out the SD card, formatting the SD card, etc.), but it kept unmounting itself and/or displaying the notification.

The common thread in these notifications was that they only occurred when booting up the phone or waking it up, which made me think about Android M's new Doze feature and whether it was affecting the System UI, which is the app that produces these SD card notifications (to confirm this, long press the SD card notification and click the settings icon and it will take you to the System UI app information).

As such, I tried the following:

-Go to Settings and select Battery
-Tap More on the top right side and select Optimize Battery Usage
-Change the dropdown menu to All apps
-Scroll down to System UI and deselect it to de-optimize it

Since following these steps yesterday, the only time I see the SD card notification is when I restart the phone. I have yet to see it appear at all between restarts.

I hope this works for you!

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi there!

I had this same issue and tried many different strategies (factory reset, changing out the SD card, formatting the SD card, etc.), but it kept unmounting itself and/or displaying the notification.

The common thread in these notifications was that they only occurred when booting up the phone or waking it up, which made me think about Android M's new Doze feature and whether it was affecting the System UI, which is the app that produces these SD card notifications (to confirm this, long press the SD card notification and click the settings icon and it will take you to the System UI app information).

As such, I tried the following:

-Go to Settings and select Battery
-Tap More on the top right side and select Optimize Battery Usage
-Change the dropdown menu to All apps
-Scroll down to System UI and deselect it to de-optimize it

Since following these steps yesterday, the only time I see the SD card notification is when I restart the phone. I have yet to see it appear at all between restarts.

I hope this works for you!

just tried this and then plugged my phone into the included fast charger. about 15 min later I get the sd card notification :(. I'll still keep system ui disabled and use only my anker powerport to see if that helps. Disabling battery optimization for system UI still sounds promising, thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae