How do I disable swipe to unlock when I have pattern unlock?

mzadie

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
My S7 requires me to swipe before I can enter my pattern to unlock. I just want to turn on the screen and use the pattern like I did on my S4.

Read some older post saying to turn off smart lock, but I have none of those turned on.

Hi if you haven't figured it out I went to security settings and removed Google smart lock. It didn't remove the swipe but if I keep my finger on the button a little longer it will bypass the swipe

Last edited by a moderator:

marius Lila

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
I solved this. There are two ways:
Method 1.go to Settings 》 Lock Screen and Security 》 Screen Lock Type and look for Option:None

Method 2. Settings 》 Accessibility 》 Direction Lock 》 Screen Lock Type and look for Option:None

Both of these will warn you about security blah blah just yes in my case it was saying it will remove fingerprint etc. I don't remember setiing one up before.
I have set up Fingerprint now it does want a second login type for when phone has been restarted or not used for 24hrs. But no more swipes!

filanto

May 19, 2016
Visit site
If fingerprint is setup correctly it will work everytime.
When setting up fingerprints, place your thumb or finger on the button in different positions until you reach 100%.
You can repeat the process with fingerprint 2, 3 and 4.
I have three different fingers setup and it opens every time.

Unless you have calluses. Mine worked great until yesterday. Now I'm using a different method. I miss the BlackBerry Photo lock screen

Posted via the Android Central App

alexfromrio

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. Setting the "Secured lock time" to "Instantly..." is the only thing of all the posts that directly unlocks the S7 -- no swipe required. Thanks again.

Where is that?

I also came here because of this problem, just upgraded to Android 6 and FUMING with anger because I did. I have a Samsung J700F

trulore

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
If I disable screen locking completely, then I don't get my pattern or pin screen either.

On my previous android phone, the lock screen had the dots where I could just my pattern and get into my phone. I didn't have to swipe before doing my pattern. On my new S7, now I have to swipe before I do my pattern. In the grand scheme of things this is a minor problem, and yet it's surprisingly annoying. :)

Raven Walla

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
My S7 requires me to swipe before I can enter my pattern to unlock. I just want to turn on the screen and use the pattern like I did on my S4.

Read some older post saying to turn off smart lock, but I have none of those turned on.

It's not s7. It's the marshmallow update. I just use the fingerprint scanner on mine and it solves the problem, but my tablet doesn't have that, so when I had to get my tablet replaced, and it didn't have the update, I opted to not update it, thus saving myself the aggravation of that stupid extra swipe screen. Google needs to put in an option to disable that. Until they do, I won't be accepting any updates on my phone or tablet from now on.

lostoam311

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
So someone solved the problem of the swipe before the pattern unlock by turning off security all together, but I have the J7 and don't think I have thumb print, plus I work all day in gloves, so that wouldn't work anyway! I listen to music most of the time, but sometimes my phone is left in the open and I don't want someone walking up and messing with it, hence why I have the Pattern! So, instead of complaining about it, could someone please provide a Logical answer to remove the swipe, but still keep my pattern! It is kind of petty to complain about, I just listened to Louis CK's bit on this the other day (if you haven't heard it, it's pretty funny) and I'm thankful there are cell phones, but at the same time, they are made to be easy, and this is just an annoying 2 step process... Thank for any help you can offer :)

Pvlf K

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
first of all set a security as NONE. after that download from googleplay application lock screen pattern. or gesture lock screen.

RajT3

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
I agree with you 100%.
My s6 would go straight to the lock pattern when I turned it on. S7 you have to swipe just to get to the lock pattern then enter lock pattern . 2 steps to unlock phone instead of one. I know you can use fingerprint to get around this . But I don't want to use fingerprint and I'm sure there are others that don't like using fingerprint either.
Anyway I hope they fix this in a future update.

Why not just use the fingerprint scanner? Just place your finger on the home button and bam...you are in with no swipe required. Easy peasy.

Additionally you could also set up a trusted device or trusted location to keep it unlocked in certain places or situations.

I just think people( like crazy *** girls) can access my phone while I am sleeping,by putting my finger on the scanner without me knowing...can become a dicey situation lol...just saying, everyone is not a fan of the fingerprint security..haha

Last edited by a moderator:

filanto

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I just think people( like crazy *** girls) can access my phone while I am sleeping,by putting my finger on the scanner without me knowing...can become a dicey situation lol...just saying, everyone is not a fan of the fingerprint security..haha

Why using Samsung's Knox with two forms of authentication for your important stuff can help

jrnsjrns

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Yes, this works, but provides no security for those who don't want to use fingerprint.
Having to swipe twice to access the phone is ridiculous.

Say Sisco

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Why not just use the fingerprint scanner? Just place your finger on the home button and bam...you are in with no swipe required. Easy peasy.

Additionally you could also set up a trusted device or trusted location to keep it unlocked in certain places or situations.

I set up the finger print unlock and it still makes me swipe up. Also, when I double twist my Motorola Droid Z Force, it makes me swipe up before the camera comes on. Something is broken.

JMB2017

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site

You have to go into security settings and then into secure lock settings and change secure lock time to "Instantly with the power key or screen timeout" once you do that you'll just have to use fingerprint to unlock screen, no more swipe. I just had to redo it on my s7 edge because I got a warranty replacement and had forgotten how to do it for a minute. Hope this helps if you haven't figured it out by now on your own.

Last edited:

Say Sisco

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
I can't even use fingerprint to get around this. I put my fingerprint in and it does directly to swipe. Same with when I try and double twist my phone to go to camera... it takes me to the swipe screen. I have that bloody swipe to unlock screen!

Shane Mayo

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
Try turning off trusted devices. Having this option on allows Bluetooth devices to unlock your phone for you or adds the swipe option like it did for me.