Deleted emails come back as new email on an IMAP Account

pixel_junkie

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi guy,

do any of you know how to fix this? I can't find any options to change the settings so new email gets deleted on the server. Right now, a deleted email comes back after a few seconds as unread.

I'd rather not change this account to POP as I'm accessing this email account from multiple mobile devices.

Many thanks in advance!

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue. Configured my email as IMAP, but when I delete on the phone the next time the phone syncs the emails come back :(

pixel_junkie

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
The strange thing is that I've had this email account for a very long time and I've never had this problem before on any of my older phones. Now I get this on the latest and greatest?

pixel_junkie

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Fixed the problem - delete the account and set it up as pop instead of imap. You'll get an option asking you if you want to delete the emails on the server when deleting from inbox, make sure you select that. You're in business...

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
But i shouldn't have to set it up as a POP account. It's an IMAP account. Still seeing this issue. Very annoying. I have to go into my webmail to delete the emails. Phone just won't do it.

notataloss

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here. Like the OP, I have set up the accounts as IMAP because I access them over several devices. And I never had this problem on my Galaxy S5.

kjellaa

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Same BUG on my new S7 Edge, argh.
Emails reappere on resync, but I found a temporary fix, to avoid going to webmail.
Delete the emails you want, imidietly go to deleted/trash folder for the account in phone, and delete all.
Now the emails will delete on server.

I really hope Samsung will fix this stupid bug yesterday, I never had issues like this with any of my other Android devices!

I also miss the opportunity to map the IMAP folders, eg. so that my sent emails go to sent folder on server and not only stays on the phone, the same goes for deleted emails that should go to the trash folder at server. Weak from Samsung.

KA

notataloss

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Agree with immediate emptying of the Trash/Deleted Items folder. Also, I am syncing my IMAP accounts now only to Outlook 2016. I previously synced my e-mail accounts to both Outlook 2016 and Microsoft Mail with no glitches. Microsoft Mail, however, changes the sync settings to the server for IMAP accounts dynamically to your usage;i.e., the application by itself may change the sync settings to the IMAP server that you established, say, from every 15 minutes to every 2 hours. As a result, messages that were read in Outlook and synced to the IMAP server as read within 15 minutes by Outlook might continue to appear as unread in Microsoft Mail until that application syncs to the IMAP server in two hours. In the meantime, the S7 may sync to the Microsoft Mail application, find the message is still unread in Microsoft Mail and,voila, the message reappears in the S7 e-mail folder.

Sparky0309

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Just got my Samsung S7 and I also have this same issue. The newest Samsung sure does seem to have a bug as this is an annoying thing to deal with.

pasmaar

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact same problems. This is however not just related to the S7 series, the S6 (Marshmellow) has the same issues. I don't know if this is an touchwiz or google thing. But it's really annoying. I have to many devices for a usable pop setup. But that's just beside the point, IMAP should work as intended. So hopefully Samsung will fix this bug ASAP. Unfortunately this isn't going to happen in the near future I'm afraid.

BillArf

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Fixed the problem - delete the account and set it up as pop instead of imap. You'll get an option asking you if you want to delete the emails on the server when deleting from inbox, make sure you select that. You're in business...

For sure, opting to go with "pop" is not the way to go. IMAP is preferred. Consider getting K9 Mail and sticking with IMAP. Settings in K9 mail remedy the issue you are having.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX