I Do NOT Recommend Buying the New Samsung Fast Charger

Vihzel

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
600x600_4.png

So I purchased (and returned) the new Samsung Fast Charger that is tilted at an angle as shown in the picture above.

While it looks really cool and would allow you to be able to do stuff on the phone without having to hold it, there is a serious concerning design issue with the charger. What is it? The little lip at the bottom that is supposed to hold up the phone. What's the issue with it? It's too thin!

The phone will barely fit on the little lip, making it very risky for accidental falls. I had the S7 Edge to see if I would really want the bigger variant and put it on the charger. I pushed on one of my apps that was at the top of the screen, and what happened? The phone slid right off the lip and fell to the ground. Thankfully, it fell on carpet so it did not cause any damage to the device. The lip design is going to be a problem for Samsung because there isn't enough traction or space for it to comfortably hold such a tall phone like the S7 Edge to a level where it won't accidentally slide off because you pushed on the upper part of the phone a wee bit too hard.

I would not recommend this to anyone who wants a charger next to your bed. I can imagine that there may be cases of the phone sliding off because the alarm clock goes off, you wake up really groggy and try to get it to snooze, and whooop... you accidentally hit the phone in your attempt and it slides right off or you push on the screen too hard and it slides right off.

I might recommend this to someone who plans to use it at a place like an office only if the phone would just slide onto a table and there is no risk of it accidentally going off the side (as might be the case if it was on a nightstand).

If you plan to get the charger anyways, you MUST put on a case for the phone to protect it. The lip does not provide enough traction to combat the slippery metal of the bottom of the phone. Chances are... you will make it accidentally slide off. Keep in mind that even if you put a case on it, it will leave even less room for the phone to comfortably sit on the charger.

Since I returned it, I will just get the one that lies horizontal, and not worry about my phone sliding right off of that.

Side note: I swapped the S7 Edge for the S7. The Edge ended up being too tall for my tastes and the curved glass, while absolutely stunning, is not as practical for when I browse websites with white backgrounds because of color distortion.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, thanks.

I have 2 of the flat fast chargers, Samsung, they work very well. Amazon has them for about 50$ I used 2 Samsung pay 30$ things at best buy today for a Samsung fast and slow charger price matching amazon and it was about 20$ out of pocket. (2 fast and 2 slow Samsung flat chargers now)

Coffeeman

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the fast charger, but I also have a Speck Candyshell Grip case on my S7. In addition to being able to charge right through the case, the grippiness of the case keeps the S7 in place. I can see where an S7 or S7 Edge without a case would be unstable, but with my case, it's pretty solid. You can also place the phone horizontal on the charger, which works.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how the wireless tilted charger would benefit you. Just pick the phone up and put it back when you're done

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
And this is exactly why I asked about a flat horizontal charger a few days ago. Too easy to get knocked over whether you're reaching for the phone or for something else.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Interesting thanks for the review, probably best to just go for the flat fast chargers instead of the tilted ones.

Vinman911

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased this charger and haven't received it yet. Does it work through cases fine?

Also, i'm thinking, couldn't one just put like a rubber grip type tape (one side is rubber) to the lip. Would that help?

Blacklance

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I think a stand up charger would be great with "Always On" for night clock purposes!

This one looks nice Vu Wireless Charger and is quick charging, but the angle looks to low for me. Samsung looked promising, but not sure after this review.

This ones at a good angle, but isn't quick charging. http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Mikobox-M6-Efficiency-PowerStation/dp/B018MLBMVE/ref=sr_1_7?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1457827399&sr=1-7&keywords=wireless+charger+stand

Still looking for the perfect one for me.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered it in a bundle package from verizon, comes w the charger, fast car charger and a 10020mah batt pack for 99.

I like the idea of an angled charger, but i dont use my phone while its on a wireless charger anyway, if i need the phone i take it off the charger first ( i have the flat wireless fast charger so you cant see the screen anyway n bed lol).

I like the idea that the charging light looks smaller than the other one, im excited to get it. My note5 has lasted all day but i decided i would go ahead and get the bundle just n case.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

ShaneN.

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
The thread title scared me, lol. I literally just walked in the door from buying one of those. I plan on using it flat over night for a bed side table though.

Vihzel

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad that my review can help others make better informed decisions. I would say that it wouldn't hurt, as long as you protect your phone, to try it out if you're really curious since there is a return policy for it. I just know for sure that I will not be buying one again in the future nor recommending it to others. My heart dropped as that new $800+ phone (includes tax) went straight to the ground. Chargers should not make you feel that way! lol The case that I bought for my S7 is fairly slippery (might be changing it for something with better grip), and it would've definitely had same issues of stability as if it was completely naked.

Coffeeman

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased this charger and haven't received it yet. Does it work through cases fine?

Also, i'm thinking, couldn't one just put like a rubber grip type tape (one side is rubber) to the lip. Would that help?

It works fine through my Speck Candyshell Grip Case

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the flat fast wireless charger and it doesn't seem to charge that fast. I put the phone on there at 38% and it said it would take 1h 55m to full.
Is that normal because it's wireless? Or do I have a bad unit?

Posted via the Android Central App

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the flat fast wireless charger and it doesn't seem to charge that fast. I put the phone on there at 38% and it said it would take 1h 55m to full.

ITs about right.. I have been doing some testing on my 10w fast charger. I found out today that they dont work as fast without buying a 19w 2.0 wall charger. Using the samsung fast charger it took a little over 2 1/2 hours to charge and thats with the phone off. (case didnt matter). today I got the 2.0 wall charger and now its just a tad over 2h. Again with the phone off.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

seems like the times are off, just use the clock, and see the progress, i have 2 and they work well.
have not timed mine yet for exacts to share. but make sure it said fast charging when you plop your phone on it.

i figure you are using the adapter that came with the charger correct ??

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
ITs about right.. I have been doing some testing on my 10w fast charger. I found out today that they dont work as fast without buying a 19w 2.0 wall charger. Using the samsung fast charger it took a little over 2 1/2 hours to charge and thats with the phone off. (case didnt matter). today I got the 2.0 wall charger and now its just a tad over 2h. Again with the phone off.

the stock Samsung flat come with the cable/adapter/ and charger,

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance