How Can I See What's Stored On The SD Card?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Once I've moved a bunch of stuff to the SD card what if I want to check what is on that SD card? When I go to settings->storage->SD card all it allows me to do is 'format' or 'unmount' the card. But I want to see what's on that card. I can't see any way to do this.

Can someone help?

CyclingNut

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Go to storage, then internal storage then explore. Then hit My Files. Then you should see the SD card. There's probably an easier way but that's how I found it.

Posted via the Android Central App

BillArf

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Get a file manager app like ES File Explorer Manager, Astro File Manager and you will be able to see files on device and storage card.

hockey9592

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Follow these steps
-From the home screen clip apps
-There should be a folder called Samsung
-Inside the Samsung Folder is the "My Files App"

Lazeedancer

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Go to storage, then internal storage then explore. Then hit My Files. Then you should see the SD card. There's probably an easier way but that's how I found it.

Posted via the Android Central App

This worked perfectly! Thanks so much!@

Last edited by a moderator:

stupot80

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
I am looking to view whats on my sd card for my tablet as I cant find how to view it and my tablet does not have a my file thing either please help.

I dont have my files app on my tablet

Ajasears1978

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
I went to my files as said but there is no sd card in there i have a gs7 is it diff way of going about it. I put some important stuff on thier also so noticed that i had a lil bit more then 1gb in thier n now its lower went into mg. Most the stuff i put in it n unistalled i deleted/unistalled off my homescreen did that remove it off my card as well

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that when you open My Files, there is no option to view the SD card? If so, then go to Settings>Storage. Does it show that an SD card is inserted there?

I'm not sure what you mean about putting stuff in it and then uninstalling off your homescreen. The homescreen shows app shortcut icons, and if you remove a shortcut from the homescreen, it doesn't uninstall the app from the phone.

mike21b

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Finally, something that I think I can help with. I think that what people want to be able to do is to see the files stored on the memory card, using... say, Windows Explorer. All Galaxy models have to be placed into Developer Mode first, and find the "USB Debugging" switch. Turn that feature on. When you plug the phone into the computer via a USB Cable, you will be presented with the option to place it in "Charging", MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), PTP (Picture Trandfer Protocol), RNDIS (USB Ethernet), Audio Source, or Midi. Select the MTP option. It might ask you when you plug it in.

My Galaxy S4 worked this way, my Galaxy S5 worked this way, and my Galaxy S7 worked this way - until the latest software update. I'm still working around minor and major annoyances and seem to have lost the ability to easily set it so that my computer can see the files contained on the SD card.

Kate Moon

Feb 16, 2018
Visit site
Step one: Plug your Android into your laptop.
It will link up, and then files on your Android will appear as if they are on your laptop. You have to go to the Start Menu and then click on the 3 horizontal lines in the upper left corner. Click on the "File Explorer" option. You should see a lot of options, go to "This PC".

For me, my Android shows up as "Galaxy Tab A (2016)". Below it is "Card". This is your your SD card on your Android.

Right Click on "Card". Then, "New Folder". Create a new folder called, "Road Music" or anything else. This is what I am using to store music files downloaded from Youtube for when I'm on the road.

At this point, you have used your laptop to create a new file on your Android.

Go to "My Files" on your Android. For me, "Recent Files" is what shows up. Where is the SD card though? No where. Press Search.

The File you created through your laptop, "Road Music" should be there.

You haven't added any music yet, so your file should be empty. But, at the top left, it should say, SD card > Road Music

Click on SD card.

Now you know what's specifically in your SD card.

This is somewhat convoluted, but it does work.

As you can tell at this point, you were able to look at whatever was on your SD card when you went to "My Files" on your Android. However, it doesn't keep anything separate, your SD card files are all mixed in with your usual Android files.

Greg vandyke2

Sep 14, 2019
Visit site
Once I've moved a bunch of stuff to the SD card what if I want to check what is on that SD card? When I go to settings->storage->SD card all it allows me to do is 'format' or 'unmount' the card. But I want to see what's on that card. I can't see any way to do this.

Can someone help?

I have the same problem how do I fux it

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Yes, because the Gallery isn't a storage location -- it simply displays whatever images you have saved to the phone in whatever directory they're located in. If the photo is saved to a directory on the SD card, and it's showing up in your Gallery, then deleting it in your Gallery will delete it on the SD card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463