S7...can you be on the phone and internet at the same time?

Jenifeni

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I just upgraded to the S7 from the S5. On my S5 I was able to be on the phone and also be on the internet. With this S7 that doesn't seem to be available. I'm also not able to receive MMS messages while on the phone....they won't download until I end my call.

Could someone tell me if there a work around for this? My carrier is U.S Cellular.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Was the S5 on US Cellular as well? US Cellular is a CDMA network like Verizon. CDMA phones can't do simultaneous voice and data unless (a) the phone and network are capable of VoLTE (Voice over LTE), or (b) the phone has dual antennas (which was a thing a few years ago, but no longer).

NataliyaY

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I just upgraded to the S7 from the S5. On my S5 I was able to be on the phone and also be on the internet. With this S7 that doesn't seem to be available. I'm also not able to receive MMS messages while on the phone....they won't download until I end my call.

Could someone tell me if there a work around for this? My carrier is U.S Cellular.

For a Verizon phone, you can have Internet and calling at the same time ONLY IF YOU turn on the Advanced Calling option in the settings area. Only then will it work. Just did it myself with the help of customer service because I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Lyssa Geer

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site

I just went from s4-s7 and had same issue. I called tech and they say because it doesn't have two attenas it is not able to support it.

Kilburngirl

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site

Having the same exact issue! I went from s5-s7 edge. I am also us cellular.

philip patinka

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site

Based on this thread, yes you can. Verizon and US Cellular are the same. Go to settings >> advanced calling >> I selected hd voice and video but you can select just voice. Click it and wait a bit. you will be instructed to restart your phone and when you return to this menu item HD voice will be flagged as "on" I tested it and in a 4g area I could use my hot spot and make a call. Prior to this I was getting "can not access data while on a call" message. I called a land line to prove to myself that the receiver need not have HD active

Echwe

Jul 14, 2017
Visit site
Based on this thread, yes you can. Verizon and US Cellular are the same. Go to settings >> advanced calling >> I selected hd voice and video but you can select just voice. Click it and wait a bit. you will be instructed to restart your phone and when you return to this menu item HD voice will be flagged as "on" I tested it and in a 4g area I could use my hot spot and make a call. Prior to this I was getting "can not access data while on a call" message. I called a land line to prove to myself that the receiver need not have HD active

Hi, I have the same issue on a US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

On the advanced calling advice, unfortunately the Settings - Mobile Setting etc does not have Advanced Calling at all. I looked around in all menus. So does that mean I cannot get 4G or internet when making a call? Will be great to hear from someone. Thanks!

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Yes you can I often connect to wifi at home for internet and talk on the phone at the same time, I know sprint does not allow this not sure about other carriers, haven't had the need to test cricket with this off of wifi yet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781