Samsung Music vs Google Play Music

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
So Samsung stopped preinstalling their own music app on the Galaxy S7s and instead promote Google Play Music as the default music player. Out of curiosity I decided to give the new Samsung Music app a try by downloading it from the Galaxy Apps store. I was surprised, because it's actually pretty fantastic, better than I remember it being on my work phone, the S6 edge - I think it's because it's been updated recently with a slightly tweaked and more refined UI.

It's simple and basic, yes, but very smooth and fluid - the exact opposite of Google Play Music, which seems to insist on being unresponsive, slow, laggy, choppy, stuttery and just poorly performing nomatter what device I try it on. The interface on the Samsung Music app is really minimal, clean and attractive. I really like it and dare I say it, I actually prefer it to Google's orange/white Material theme in the Play Music app.

I'm in the middle of my 3 month Google Play Music trial and am loving the actual streaming service itself (the variety of songs/artists available, auto-playlists that really seem personalised to my tastes etc.) but the app experience is pretty abysmal due to the poor optimisation. It's frustrating!

What are your opinions on these two music players? Which is your favourite between these two? Have you given the Samsung Music app a try?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I use gpm, for unlimited streaming plus youtube red. I paid $5/mo for the next 5 years so...won't be changing anytime soon.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I use gpm, for unlimited streaming plus youtube red. I paid $5/mo for the next 5 years so...won't be changing anytime soon.
I wish YouTube Red were available here in the UK. It's just paid ad-blocking, why is Google taking so long to make it available over here?

mccann1987

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Samsung music app is great. I used it on my s5 and now on my s7. I was very happy to be able to download it for the s7 rather then using anything else. It is simple,fast,clean and easy to use and has a good equaliser and audio settings.

Also I love that you can clear all open apps including samsung music player and it still plays. I used a xperia z2 for a while which would stop the default music player when I closed all apps meaning a would have to manually close the apps making sure a didn't close the music app every time I used it, very inconvenient.

Posted via the Android Central App

yunique

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I think he means the music player not milk music service which I heard was being shut down soon anyway

Posted via the Android Central App

osta.doc

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Where would one be able to locate this new Samsung Music App anyway? I can't seem to locate it. I'd like to give it a shot.

Monee_121

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
The app is in the Samsung or Galaxy Apps. Just search for music.

I love it just to manage stored music on my SD card. I use Spotify for streaming, but also have downloaded music I like to listen to. I agree the Google Play Music just has way too much going on. It was horribly difficult to understand and all the features I didn't need. Very glad to have the simple app back.

Posted via AC App from my Galaxy S7 Edge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress