My sister the luddite, and her Galaxy S7 by Russell Holly

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that it's refreshing to read an article on the S7 or S7 edge without the comments section being bombarded with how much better the Nexus experience is.

I agree. I mean, I have the Nexus but this article has a much more important message: Most people don't care about iOS vs Android or Samsung vs HTC or Nexus vs Touchwiz or anything like that. Put something that looks decent, works well and doesn't disappoint in their hands and not much else matters. I'm somewhat amazed that she preordered.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I mean, I have the Nexus but this article has a much more important message: Most people don't care about iOS vs Android or Samsung vs HTC or Nexus vs Touchwiz or anything like that. Put something that looks decent, works well and doesn't disappoint in their hands and not much else matters. I'm somewhat amazed that she preordered.

So wait ... we're all nerds if we care about this? No one told me this! D:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
With the exception of adoptable storage, Samsung has a great release for 2016. I agree with points raised above. I assume that enabling adoptable storage could be handled by an update from Samsung? I wasn't crazy about the return of the microsd card slot but now that it's back, I took advantage of the $59 price for the 200GB card.

Posted via the Android Central App

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
With the exception of adoptable storage, Samsung has a great release for 2016. I agree with points raised above. I assume that enabling adoptable storage could be handled by an update from Samsung? I wasn't crazy about the return of the microsd card slot but now that it's back, I took advantage of the $59 price for the 200GB card.

I'm curious to hear your opinion as to why a MicroSD slot would be a bad thing? Maybe I misunderstood your statement about why you're not crazy about them putting it back in.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to hear your opinion as to why a MicroSD slot would be a bad thing? Maybe I misunderstood your statement about why you're not crazy about them putting it back in.

I agree that I'd prefer SD be left out of flagships, but even when folks disagree about whether or not they like that feature, here's one thing we probably all agree on:

Having only a 32GB storage option, with or without a card slot, should be considered a bare minimum, or possibly below the bare minimum. Having 64GB or 128GB internal storage is obviously better and if the choice was consciously made to limit internal storage options because the slot was available, then the wrong choice was made. No SD option except for adoptable storage can come close to making up for weak storage choices, and adoptable still is slower, more of a hassle and less stable than just having a larger ssd in the phone.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree that I'd prefer SD be left out of flagships, but even when folks disagree about whether or not they like that feature, here's one thing we probably all agree on:

Having only a 32GB storage option, with or without a card slot, should be considered a bare minimum, or possibly below the bare minimum. Having 64GB or 128GB internal storage is obviously better and if the choice was consciously made to limit internal storage options because the slot was available, then the wrong choice was made. No SD option except for adoptable storage can come close to making up for weak storage choices, and adoptable still is slower, more of a hassle and less stable than just having a larger ssd in the phone.

I would have preferred larger storage options as I opted for the 64GB GS6 last year. I was prepared to jump on a 128GB model. Having said that, I never ended up using all the space on my GS6 partly due to chronic illness in my family. I still have 45GB free. My AT&T gold platinum GS7 is on the FedEx truck out for delivery.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would have preferred larger storage options as I opted for the 64GB GS6 last year. I was prepared to jump on a 128GB model. Having said that, I never ended up using all the space on my GS6 partly due to chronic illness in my family. I still have 45GB free. My AT&T gold platinum GS7 is on the FedEx truck out for delivery.

Hope you love it

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I also agree that more internal storage is a good thing but if it cannot be had then I still prefer the ability to add my own. Not to mention it is WAY cheaper to add the micro sd card.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I also agree that more internal storage is a good thing but if it cannot be had then I still prefer the ability to add my own. Not to mention it is WAY cheaper to add the micro sd card.
Yep I'd suspect the majority of people in the forums would be in agreement here. :)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

In general, yes but depends on card.
In my case, it was cheaper as I got the above card when it was $59.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781