Galaxy S7 second opinion — the nicest phone I can't stand to touch

Ivor Davies

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Hey, did anyone else see this article on Android Central?

Galaxy S7 second opinion — the nicest phone I can't stand to touch | Android Central

It seems a lot of people have a problem with the way this phone feels in the hand, that and the fact that all the shiny glass and metal is a fingerprint magnet. I know I wouldn't want to spend this much money on a brand new phone and then have it smash on the concrete just because it's built like a bar of soap.

I'm thinking its really not that much of a problem, for me the Touchwiz interface is more of a problem, that and all the bloatware that comes pre-installed. Effectively you're paying for a 32Gb phone that is effectively reduced to 16Gb because of all the crapware that comes installed with it. For my money I'll be keeping an eye out for the HTC10 or the LGG5, but then I'm not so sure about those modular doo-hickeys that come with that. At the moment I am very happy with my LG G4, yes the battery life could be better, but the camera is amazing and that's primarily what I want out of a smartphone at the moment.

What about you?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
To each his own. A case solves the feel of the glass back if that's an issue. Get insurance on the phone for the first year. The camera is awesome, but the video mode is not great--it hunts for focus, causing the image to "breath" a lot. Bloat is a fact of life with many of the phones. For me it's not the end of the world. I pick out the phone I like overall, rather than dismiss one or the other because there is bloat. Everyone has their priorities. Good luck.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
That's why I like white phones and the shimmery textured back of my S5...NO fingerprints! Course I use a case so that's a moot point but when I have handled the phone without a case, it's not slippery and isn't a magnet for smudgery :) I don't like the way the (nekkid) S7 feels in my hand but as mentioned above, a case will solve that problem. Just wish they made a white version for the USA.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I usually rock my phones naked, but the S7 was a little too slippery for me , so I went out and got the Spigen slim armor on it. Much better and much happier now. Looks nice too

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Otterbox Defender case regardless of build materials. Build materials and design language have been a source of much complaining. There is no pleasing some folks. We finally dump the plastic and actually get premium build materials and a device that feels great in the hand, a feel improved over the GS6. To each his own but IMHO not a deal breaker considering all the improvements since the GS6.

Posted via the Android Central App

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
32 gigs and I had 22 free and I'm on Verizon one of the worst for bloat, so not terrible. I can hold ok on to the phone with out much issue ,but because I have a kid that likes to play around and my own clumsiness I have a case. And touch wiz is not half as bad as it used to be . But I'm a type of guy that doesn't really like "stock" android look.

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
The case idea is must these days for all the slippery phones. For me I would say that the device is a very good one. With the other phones you get only Android Pay which isn't accepted at nearly as many places as it should - very similar to Apple Pay. Samsung Pay with the MST option advances payments forward - finally. Being able to pay in a more secure fashion is very comforting for me.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The phone looks nice, but yes very much a fingerprint magnet. I fall into the group that uses a case anyway so its not a big deal for me, but i can see where people who want to go case less have issues.

I wont comment on the comment about touchwiz.. i like the new touchwiz, its improved and its part of the samsung package. Iphone doesn't doesnt have touchwiz, maybe thats an option?

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Haven't tried default as once you go Nova, it's tough to go back like boxers vs briefs.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Otterbox Defender case regardless of build materials. Build materials and design language have been a source of much complaining. There is no pleasing some folks. We finally dump the plastic and actually get premium build materials and a device that feels great in the hand, a feel improved over the GS6. To each his own but IMHO not a deal breaker considering all the improvements since the GS6.

But "premium" materials don't necessarily make a better product and a lot of people are complaining about how the S7 feels in their hand (slippery) and they don't like the finger print magnet. The textured plastic didn't have either one of those problems. I've dropped mine over a dozen times on concrete (with a case and screen protector). No damage at all. Not sure I'll be so lucky with an all glass phone even if it's in a case.

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm planning to put my S7 in a case, but I can get not liking the way it feels, and some people just don't like cases. To each their own I guess.

KnicksALLday

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
dumb article if you ask me... this phone feels great especially naked... its light and has the curved edges to have a more comfortable grip so you wont drop it... i have a soft tpu case on it so the grip is perfect for me and still keeps the phone light... my only complaint is this phone is a finger print magnet even with the screen protector

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
dumb article if you ask me... this phone feels great especially naked... its light and has the curved edges to have a more comfortable grip so you wont drop it... i have a soft tpu case on it so the grip is perfect for me and still keeps the phone light... my only complaint is this phone is a finger print magnet even with the screen protector

Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean that the man's opinion is dumb. My wife has a S7 (in a wallet case btw) and I got a second one with the BOGO T-Mobile promotion that I plan on selling and I'll say I was scared as hell holding the thing naked... maybe it was just a dry day and my hands were a little dry, but that sucker was a little greased pig. I was going to play around with it a little while I wanted for the rebate card, but I ended up stashing it away in its box not long after it almost slipped out of my hand.

If someone who never likes to use a case was asking for phone recommendations, I'd really have a hard time putting either S7 on that list.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Weird. Because I've had the S7 Edge naked since launch and do not have a single issue holding it and operating it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781