Is it just me...Picture correction question [S7]

robrrtp

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
...or does the horizon appear to be bowed up in the middle, almost like a barrel distortion over-correction? I took a few shots earlier in the session that looked normal, so I know it can't be a hardware defect. I then swung around when I noticed a rainbow behind me and got a few shots of that. It was when I swung back around (I have the phone on a tripod) when I noticed it in this shot and about a dozen more.

(Phil probably knows where this location is)
2016-03-27 18.59.17.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that looks convex. Putting a straight edge up to the screen confirms it. But you said other photos of the same horizon don't have that convexity?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think there's a very tiny bit of convexity there. You may be right, it could be barrel distortion.

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
It looked like pincushion distortion. Both barrel and pincushion are more visable at edges of screen, not center.

Some distortion is in most all lenses even good ones on real cameras. Wide angle lenses as on your phone do it more. That's why people take pictures of brick walls. Then they use photoshop to find the lens distortion correction value that fixes it.

Cell phone makers use correction values in the software that renders the jpg file to correct for the single lens they need to correct for.

The sun and possible atmospheric effects may also be a factor. Suggest you try a brick wall and see if you see it there. Samsung knows the aberration of its lens and had probably made software correction.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I use an app called SKRWT to fix perspective issues If I'm editing on my phone, or Lightroom on my laptop.