Sending video from s7 via text??

asublimeday

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
The videos you send through imessage are still compressed. They're not as beautiful when the recipient views them. You can't sent those large videos through a messenger. Most limit them to 16mb. If you're recording in 4k,2k or 1080p, the video will be compressed

This is false. Just sat next to my wife and we sent a minute long HD video back and fourth on our iPhones, then I tried from my Pixel to her iPhone, on Wi Fi and off Wi Fi. iMessages sent it flawlessly with full quality. Textra, Google Messenger, and Verizon Messages all compressed it to the point that it was almost unrecognizable. I didn't realize the limitations of communicating on an Android until now and I'm so glad I did before my return period was up. Google needs to negotiate with Apple to bring iMessages over NOW. They just lost another customer.

Mark Hense

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
This is false. Just sat next to my wife and we sent a minute long HD video back and fourth on our iPhones, then I tried from my Pixel to her iPhone, on Wi Fi and off Wi Fi. iMessages sent it flawlessly with full quality. Textra, Google Messenger, and Verizon Messages all compressed it to the point that it was almost unrecognizable. I didn't realize the limitations of communicating on an Android until now and I'm so glad I did before my return period was up. Google needs to negotiate with Apple to bring iMessages over NOW. They just lost another customer.

This is the number one reason I don't switch fully. This ability to share pictures and video without links is huge. Android messenger should have this feature baked into android and unchangeable by skins.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
No it's not. iMessage compresses video. The difference being is that the size limit is bigger. On iOS 9.3, it used to be 100mb, then the file is reduced up to 460p once that limit is reached. A 1min video should be around 50mb when recorded on HD. With the massive decrease in resolution on an iPhone screen compared to an S7, the discrepancy isn't as noticeable. But MMS has a smaller file limit. If you want something similar to iMessage on an S7, you need to activate Enhanced Messaging in the settings and use that. That works like iMessage and uses Samsung servers. However I understand that in the US, carriers altered that.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

Your not listening. Google messenger, textra, messages are all SMS. They have severe limitations on size files. Go find an old basic phone and send a picture. Same results. Messenger services run off data and have the ability to send large files.

asublimeday

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Your not listening. Google messenger, textra, messages are all SMS. They have severe limitations on size files. Go find an old basic phone and send a picture. Same results. Messenger services run off data and have the ability to send large files.

Oh, I understand. That doesn't excuse Google not having RCS as a standard at this point, though. But, hey, based on the RCS agreement US carriers signed, in 2020 maybe Android will be a viable communication platform. I'll consider switching again then.

asublimeday

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
No it's not. iMessage compresses video. The difference being is that the size limit is bigger. On iOS 9.3, it used to be 100mb, then the file is reduced up to 460p once that limit is reached. A 1min video should be around 50mb when recorded on HD. With the massive decrease in resolution on an iPhone screen compared to an S7, the discrepancy isn't as noticeable. But MMS has a smaller file limit. If you want something similar to iMessage on an S7, you need to activate Enhanced Messaging in the settings and use that. That works like iMessage and uses Samsung servers. However I understand that in the US, carriers altered that.

When is the last time you used iMessage? If Android users took Google to task for their lack of RCS instead of making excuses and disparaging iMessage's actual viable solution, we'd be in a much better place.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Samsung has an internal file sharer. It works awesome with other Samsung phones. If I send it to a non Samsung it goes as a text message with a link.

Attachments

• 1590.jpg
    1590.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 92

mommachop

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
I agree with drumfunken. I dumped my iPhone a few weeks ago for the Galaxy S7. Nice phone. I heard the picture/video quality was awesome, which it is, and that's why I decided to try it. But what the **#% good is excellent quality pics and vids if you can't share them? On the iPhone, I took excellent videos and pictures and shared them easily with both iOS and Android users. However, I have been getting complaints about horrible quality of shared video's from friends and family when I have sent them through my new Galaxy. Devastated. Again - what good are these high quality pics and vids if you can't "easily" share them! I don't want to download them to some other place in order to share them. I can't invite everyone over to sit next to me and view them. I won't ask everyone else to go sign up for some app so they can enjoy them. With my iPhone - you took the pic/vid and you shared it. Simple. I just took it for granted that Android did the same thing. I am now having regrets about switching. Stuck for 2 years with this situation I guess.

You are my hero...my thoughts exactly

Last edited by a moderator:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
When is the last time you used iMessage? If Android users took Google to task for their lack of RCS instead of making excuses and disparaging iMessage's actual viable solution, we'd be in a much better place.
Hangouts was updated to work with sending videos. Hence it's as close as you get to iMessage. It's not taking Google to task. It's getting the Android users to use the stuff given to them in the first place. You could probably argue that Google should just dump Messenger and use Hangouts as the stock SMS app (just like Apple uses iMessage as stock SMS app). It's just that Android is an open source project, hence doing that would leave Android without an actual messaging app. Hangouts comes preinstalled in Android phones however.
Also, even if you used Hangouts or even if Google used its own version of an app similar to iMessage exactly, iPhone users would still receive crappy compressed videos because the only way to talk to iMessage servers from outside is via MMS, unless Apple opens up iMessage so it connect to other servers. This means that if you send videos via Hangouts, Android users will receive decent videos via Hangouts, iOS users will receive crap videos via iMessage. Of course though, Hangouts is available for iOS, hence there's a way around that. To me it's more of the Android usersbase fault rather than Google's as to why it appears we don't have an actual iMessage alternative. We do. We just don't use it.
Samsung took a step in the right direction by including an Enhanced Messaging feature in its stock app. It works like iMessage in that it uses Samsung servers to send pics and videos to reduce if not eliminate compression. The problem is AFAIK carriers removed it. Verizon for example I hear removed this and installed their own Messaging+ app.

Kmj21

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
This is crap. I phones have been able to send hd videos through text messaging for years now. I expected so much more from this galaxy s7 and I really wish I had my iPhone back. This phone was sold under so much false advertisement.

I agree. I hate this phone. I tried to get rid of it and back to iPhone but I'm stuck with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
There are a dozen easy ways to send a video. Upload to YouTube, Google drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google photos. All of these are free, all of them are easy, all are easily available, and all of them can share links.

More to life than iMessage. 80% of the world has no issue. And with apples crazy sue happy locked down take my ball and go home, nuke Google attitude it will never be integrated into the rest of the world.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree with drumfunken. I dumped my iPhone a few weeks ago for the Galaxy S7. Nice phone. I heard the picture/video quality was awesome, which it is, and that's why I decided to try it. But what the **#% good is excellent quality pics and vids if you can't share them? On the iPhone, I took excellent videos and pictures and shared them easily with both iOS and Android users. However, I have been getting complaints about horrible quality of shared video's from friends and family when I have sent them through my new Galaxy. Devastated. Again - what good are these high quality pics and vids if you can't "easily" share them! I don't want to download them to some other place in order to share them. I can't invite everyone over to sit next to me and view them. I won't ask everyone else to go sign up for some app so they can enjoy them. With my iPhone - you took the pic/vid and you shared it. Simple. I just took it for granted that Android did the same thing. I am now having regrets about switching. Stuck for 2 years with this situation I guess.

Your problem is not with Google or Android. Your problem is with Samsung and your carrier. Whichever has the smallest MMS file size limit between those two entities is your problem.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
There is no real difference to iPhones and Androids in the ability to send videos other than the fact that Androids have 2 SMS apps built in. One is the normal Messaging app which can only send MMS and is carrier limited, and the other is Hangouts which works exactly like iMessage and able to send videos with minimal to no compression.
It's just the average iPhone transplant is not informed of actual facts on how these kinds of stuff works.

vgarza1972

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
well i am tired of my friends with iphones sending me good clear videos thru text msgs and I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER SAMSUNG PHONE OR ANDROID ANYMORE TIL THIS GETS FIXED ALSO SENDING MORE THAN JUST ONE PIC AT A TIME IF ITS UNDER 300KB ITS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS FOR THE MONEY WE PAY FOR THESE DEVICES!!!!!

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I have no issues sending clear pictures through text. If your carrier limits you to 300kb that is not an android issue. What carrier do you have? You might be able to change that. Google it and find out if your text messenger app is set to low.

Getting mad and making run on sentences does not accomplish anything.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you understand that sending a video using iMessage could use a generous amount of your data plan? Many people switch to iPhones, and then go 'I have never gone over 2gb before! ' Well, since iPhones use data to send iMessages, and you use that beautiful video to send to others, so goes your data. And uses the recipients to receive and view it. To minimize, you would connect to Wi-Fi; so should the recipient-but you can't control that (unless you preface in the text, 'connect to Wi-Fi, this is a large file! !')

What you are failing to understand is ALL you have to do is use Google Photos. Then use it to send a link to give permission to watch that video, and it will play at the resolution you took the video in. Google photos uploads in Wi-Fi by default (you could change that, but use up your data plan). Apple iPhones/iPads uses your data indiscriminately if you don't watch out. Android does not. IPhones/iPad have many technical leaps before they catch up to Androids. It will take Apple till 2020 to have what Android have now....but by then, Android will already be on the next wave of industry standard features. I am not knocking Apple, it's a great platform. But not all things are Apple's (ha) and Oranges!