google voice change

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to android coming from apple. About a month ago I received my new galaxy S7. I have searched and searched for instructions on how to change google now voice from female to male, and nothing works. I can change it from US to the UK but it stays the female voice. Anyone know how to change this?
I know how to change it under text to speech but that doesn't apply to Google now. Under US language it has several male and female voices. Do these voices not carry over to Google now?
Under google now I don't seem to have the option for male or female voices.

Posted via the Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually only just stumbled upon this a few days ago in my Nexus 6P / Marshmallow 6.0.1.

Assuming it may be the same for your S7, Settings ->Language & input -> Text-to-speech output ->tap the gear icon to the right of "Google Text-to-speech engine" -> Install voice data -> [choose a language] -> tap on Voice set 1 -> Choose the desired voice.

Phew!

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
That is for Text to Speech only. From what i have come across is Google Now has its own controls and these setting do not apply to Google Now. I know where to go to change the language for Google Now, but i can not find the option to change gender, like we can in the Text to Speech settings.
For Google Now you open Google Now, top left corner you open settings, open voice. There you have to ability to change language but gender does not appear like it does in the text to speech settings.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ah, you were referring specifically to Google Now. That voice does not appear to be changeable which may, in fact, be a bug.

The other setting seems to affect all other speech output; for example I use a heart rate chest strap and monitor app and its voice prompts change when I change the system Text-to-speech voice as I described above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt