Where are the long-press keyboard shortcuts on the Galaxy S7?

A

AC Question

Where are the long-press keyboard shortcuts on the galaxy s7?

I run my own small business so there are some things i type a lot, on my note edge i have numbers 1-6 set so if i pressed and held the key for a second my set text would appear. I can't seem to do that with my new galaxy s7.
there's a similar option called "text shortcuts" but it only allows me to input a very short number of characters. Does anyone know if that was a note specific feature? i hope not

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Were you using the stock keyboard on the Note Edge, or a 3rd party keyboard?

I don't have an answer about the S7's stock keyboard, but you could also consider Fleksy, which has a good text shortcut feature. But Fleksy is tap-typing only, without the ability to swype-type.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Where are the long-press keyboard shortcuts on the galaxy s7?

SwiftKey might be a good idea.

Posted via the Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Swiftkey won't let you define specific short cuts, but words you use frequently will start showing up as a suggested word pretty quickly.

Joana_FL

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
i was using the stock keyboard.
I downloaded Flesky, seems like it does it by adding a bar of keys you can customize, what i had was better because I could press and hold an existing key and it would give me the option to assign a new function to that key. ;( thanks for the reply

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Word prediction with SwiftKey gets pretty scary accurate the longer it is used though.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded Flesky, seems like it does it by adding a bar of keys you can customize, what i had was better because I could press and hold an existing key and it would give me the option to assign a new function to that key.

Actually, with Fleksy, you create Typing Shortcuts (essentially short abbreviations, like "wtac" for "Welcome to Android Central"). Then, whenever you type that abbreviation, the full text will appear. True, it requires more keypresses than a long-press, but it might actually be better in terms of typing flow. 9. How to set up Typing Shortcuts – Fleksy Customer Service

HelpyHelper

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site

I run my own small business so there are some things i type a lot, on my note edge i have numbers 1-6 set so if i pressed and held the key for a second my set text would appear. I can't seem to do that with my new galaxy s7.
there's a similar option called "text shortcuts" but it only allows me to input a very short number of characters. Does anyone know if that was a note specific feature? i hope not

I loved that feature on my old phone.
I recently got the s7 and found a kind of new way. If you go to the keyboard settings, scroll to where you see text shortcuts, at the top, click "ADD" and then you can enter in a number, and type out what you want to appear as suggested text.

iamleace

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site

Yes! This is exactly what I'm trying to find out too - I had my old S5 set up so when i pressed and held , for example, the 1 key, it inserted a ! Sign, and I had all 10 numbers set up for the most used symbols. Theno find that they removed that awesome feature on this new "&improved"model? It makes no sense at alland I'm very unhappy about that. I did try the one option they have which is more intended for setting up shortcuts for common phrases, such as my email address. I find that when I type 1 for example, it lists the ! Symbol as I set up,however, sometimes I actually want a 1 and not a !. Is there any way we can let Samsung "powers that be" know how much many of us miss this feature and see if it's something they could re-add perhaps with an update?

smcdonaldaz

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
You can use the Text Shortcuts in the keyboard setup utility. Just add the number you want and the phrase, anytime you type the number the phrase will show up on the suggestion bar. Instead of a long press it's 2 presses. No biggie.

dralaboodi

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site

Go to setting
General Management
Language and Input ....open it:
Virtual keyboard.... open it
Samsung keyboard.... open it
Put Predictive text "On" .....
Press on Predictive text .... you will find "Text shortcut"
Up right side in blue color there is ADD.... press
Chose a shortcut like 1
Chose for exemple the phrase or word let say your email
Press ADD
Finish
When you go to any where just press one and ur email will appear
Good luck

johnkalagian

Mar 12, 2020
Visit site

Typical moronic "developers," take a perfectly useful feature and delete it just because *they* don't have a use for it.
The current shortcut alternative works ok EXCEPT not for passwords - the only freakin thing it was good for in the first place!
Morons...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Maybe they thought it wasn't good for security to have passwords saved in that way?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
And maybe they should just let *me* make my own security decisions?
Hmmm?
Maybe I no longer need a nanny?

But companies can be held liable for things like this. Would a bank let the customer decide about important security issues? Anyway, I hope you find a solution to your liking.