Galaxy S7 randomly dropping data connection, how can I fix this?

A

AC Question

Galaxy S7 randomly dropping data connection

First time really using the forms here and I tried searching but didn't notice anything about my issue. I'm having trouble with mobile data just stopping randomly. It says mobile data is on but the data just isn't functioning. I've tried toggling airplane mode off and on but that doesn't work and neither does toggling mobile data off and back on. The only solution seems to be rebooting the phone. I bought the phone used so I can't just send it back. I'm just wondering if anybody else is having this same issue? It happened twice today and three times yesterday. It also happened over the last couple weeks randomly. I've read about people having the issue with Wi-Fi but not the mobile data. The phone is Sim unlocked now but has not been rooted and is running the stock software. Any suggestions on how to clear this issue up? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S7 randomly dropping data connection

Hello!

We'd love to help you out, but need more information about your phone. Can you register with us? Its Free & Easy! Some possible tips, in case your phone possesses these abilities.

1. Remove SIM Card while phone is on>Turn Phone Off>Re-insert Sim Card>Restart phone.
2. Enter Recover (Google, "how to enter recovery on, (Your Phone)) And then Wipe Cache Partition - No Data Will Be Loss.
3. Get new Sim Card, if possible, "Most" carriers will do this cheap, if not free. AT&T charges 1 penny.
4. Do a FULL FACTORY RESET. Be sure to research how to properly backup your phone, to minimize personal data loss.

Hope this Helps!

Chris

Jester23

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, this was actually my question but I was using the Android Central Android app and it's just broken and not allowing me to post properly even though I was signed in.. I ended up posting this in the Galaxy S7 forum once I was able to get to it on the mobile site.. I've tried your suggestions and will see if that helps! Thanks!

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

You are quite welcome, and if I've helped you, be sure to hit the like button! Have a great day.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Im having this issue with my S7 edge. Verizon sending me a new sim, free. It'll be here tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll take a new phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I. Have the same issues and tried everything mentioned and more without luck. Getting rid of this phone.

Ddrake13

May 22, 2016
Visit site

I've been having the same issue with my galaxy s7 edge..can't find much on the subject either. It happens randomly and the main reason I know its happening is my battery life drops dramatically, and the top battery drainer on my battery usage list is Call Standby. While this is happening i can't sent or receive texts or calls. Sent texts will remain in pending status while calls just drop before the first ring. Only fix I've found is only temporary, like stated from the host of this thread restarting the phone seems to be the only way to correct it...I think its been to long to just simply turn in my phone, has anyone come up with/know of a solution to this? Are our phones just lemons? Or will this likely be addressed in a upcoming patch...because come to think about it, I never had the issue until I updated the phone last.

Edit:
It wasn't showing the other comments last night when I posted...I've tried the first few steps short of getting a new Sims card. I'll see if it ends up fixing the issue.

Last edited:

Jester23

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Did either the new SIM card or a factory reset fix the problem?

Since I got the newest software update from my phone's carrier, the problem seems to have stopped... Including the issue I was having every once in a while where it was telling me I had no sim in even though there was. It's the July Security patched software from Bell mobility Canada that seems to have fixed the issue.

Bertan

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem with my S7 edge. I think it has something to do with mobile data's incompatibility with wi-fi. I was on holiday couple of weeks ago and and had no wi-fi signal for most of the week. So my wi-fi was off and mobile data was on, and the mobile data just kept on working. For an entire week, no problems. But when I came back to home and turned on the wi-fi, the drops have started again.

I got fed up yesterday and did a factory reset, but the problem came back right away today. However, while searching different forums, I saw a temporary solution that worked for me:

Go to settings / mobile networks / network mode, switch to 2g only or 3g only, and then switch back to "lte/3g/2g (auto connect)". It starts working again and it is much much faster than restarting the phone.

It's still pretty friggin annoying, but might be preferable than taking the phone back to Samsung and waiting days for them to return it. The thing is, sometimes it works flawless for days, and sometimes it goes bust 5 minutes after restarting the phone. Maybe they'll think they fixed the problem, and actually they have stumbled on one of those good runs. You'll take it back thinking it's all fixed, and nothing has changed...

motimou

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, but I can do nothing as even if I change to what you said it does not work as there is just No NETWORK.
Have done factory reset twice, reloaded firmware, put in a new sim NO HELP.
All the problems have started after the last update
But not all Samsung S7 phones have this problem as my friends S7 is perfect.
I bought mine the first day it came out.

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
What network are you people on? Do you have good signal strength? Only problems i have is when i am in an area with very low signal. Other wise i have great network reception. I am on Verizon.

EDM01

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
I just picked up the phone two weeks ago. It's done this issue too many times. Only fix is restarting the phone that I have found. Not ideal. I am with Fido (rogers).

If anyone has any permanent solutions please share.

motimou

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
This is not a network issue its a hardware issue IF it happens too often. The only solution is to send it back to Samsung for a fix.

JibJab007

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
This is not a network issue its a hardware issue IF it happens too often. The only solution is to send it back to Samsung for a fix.

Hey Motimou I have the same issue as I never had an issue with my data dropping till this latest update. I don't know if the mobile carrier makes a difference here but I have sprint. How do you know its a network issue?

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Don't get hung up on it being a Samsung problem. I have the same problem with my Nexus 5x, with Android nougat. I've had the same problem for years and several previous phones. A lot of research and no answers. Only remedy is a reboot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante