Samsung Galaxy S7 Software Update - April Security Patch

DonnFerdie

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi. Anyone here knows how to know when an update is coming? I bought my Galaxy s7 edge from Singapore but I live in the Philippines. As of writing, I still have OS 6.0.1. Security Patch Level: Feb. 1, 2016. Thank you!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
More releases for the Global, G930F, unbranded and lightly branded model for...

Hungary
Poland
Portugal
Sweden (Tre)
Uruguay
Colombia
Mexico
Portugal (TPH)
Czech Republic

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I got the Sprint april update last night for my g930p (S7).
Everything went smoothly & so far so good as usual. Sprint has really stepped up their game in the last year.
It stated battery improvements as one of a couple fixes, nothing major (other than security updates of course).

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The "April security patch" is the responsible for the lockscreen/fingerprint problems. Those of use who use Nova Launcher and have double tap to sleep will now get a message saying that we can't unlock the device using the fingerprint because of a new security protocol. The fingerprint will only work if you turn off the phone with the power button. If you use Nova's double tap to lock (or any other 3rd party app) the fingerprint won't work.

And it absolutely s*cks. I'm trying to find a way to revert back to the March update. In the meantime I've basically disabled the fingerprint scanner on the lockscreen. It's bad enough Samsung removed the double tap to wake. I'm not willing to lose double tap to sleep too. I rather keep the apps with sensitive information under the fingerprint lock of App Lock than to lose double tap to sleep too.
This is the sort of pathetic thing that Samsung SHOULD avoid doing. They clearly aren't smart enough though.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
The "April security patch" is the responsible for the lockscreen/fingerprint problems. Those of use who use Nova Launcher and have double tap to sleep will now get a message saying that we can't unlock the device using the fingerprint because of a new security protocol. The fingerprint will only work if you turn off the phone with the power button. If you use Nova's double tap to lock (or any other 3rd party app) the fingerprint won't work.

And it absolutely s*cks. I'm trying to find a way to revert back to the March update. In the meantime I've basically disabled the fingerprint scanner on the lockscreen. It's bad enough Samsung removed the double tap to wake. I'm not willing to lose double tap to sleep too. I rather keep the apps with sensitive information under the fingerprint lock of App Lock than to lose double tap to sleep too.
This is the sort of pathetic thing that Samsung SHOULD avoid doing. They clearly aren't smart enough though.

I'm waiting for an update from Nova before I blame anyone. I had mine set up to lock the screen with a swipe up but I had the same issues you do. Only thing making me wait for a Nova update is that it didn't happen every time. I would say about 80% of the time I had the issue. Hopefully an update will get things back to normal

Posted via the Android Central App

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting for an update from Nova before I blame anyone. I had mine set up to lock the screen with a swipe up but I had the same issues you do. Only thing making me wait for a Nova update is that it didn't happen every time. I would say about 80% of the time I had the issue. Hopefully an update will get things back to normal

I'm also hoping Nova can fix it with an update but I'm not keeping my hopes high. We'll see.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

United Kingdom (Vodafone)
Italy (Vodafone)
Netherlands (Vodafone)
Germany (Vodafone)
Spain (Vodafone)
Hungary (VDH)

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I just got this update this morning.

Model: SM-G930P Patch 2016-04-02
Baseband: G930PVPU2APD3
Build Number: MMB29M.G930PVPU2APD3

mccann1987

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Received a software update yesterday (27.4.16) in UK normal s7 on Vodafone. I am slightly apprehensive to install as I am very happy with the performance of phone especially battery life. I often read how the performance of a device drops after an update when in fact it was suppose to have opposite effect.

Has anybody installed this update and what if any changes have you noticed.

(My device has randomly restarted on a few occasions. There are large gaps in between these restarts so It could of crashed ect ect which does happen with technology from time to time so it's not a huge issue for me)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi mccann1987!

When judging updates from posts on forums such as this, ensure that you are looking at the one's for your model and not some Snapdragon, carrier minority variant, whose firmware and update will be different from the one your Global model is receiving.

This latest update, PD3, not only installs the Google April security patch to help protect your device but also has a whole host of bugfixes to address minor issues with the firmware. See, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge updated with touch improvements. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you install the update as soon as possible.

No one on here will be able to guarantee that a particular update on someone else's phone will go smoothly since it could be an owners own user app that causes the problems.

If you wish to err on the side of caution, you should ensure that you have backed up your phone prior to updating, see, Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW!.

After the update, you should wipe the phone's cache partition to clear out any detritus from your previous firmware as this causes the most update problems and complaints. See, video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddhpF2IK5e0

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Italy (Wind)
Australia
Argentina (Personal)
Mexico
Chile

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Portugal
France (Orange)
Ireland (Three)
United Kingdom (EE)
Romania (Orange)

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody installed this update and what if any changes have you noticed.

I did. The major thing you'll notice is that, if you use Nova and double tap to sleep, the fingerprint unlocking will no longer work as the "April Patch" breaks the functionality.

Because of that, I've actually flashed the March update back into the S7 to get the functionality back. I do not recommend anyone who uses double tap to sleep to update to the April Patch. But that is, of course, a personal decision and it's up to each individual. I can't attest for much of the long-term performance of the April Patch update because I quickly removed it again from the phone until either Nova or the May patch returns the functionality that was present prior to that update.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Can we flash 930F firmwares on the 930FD? The dual sim versions?

Yes. The caveats are...

1. You will lose dual sim function

2. You will no longer receive automatic updates via OTA or Smart Switch

3. You will potentially void your warranty.

EDIT: I notice that you have also posted in the section of the forum for rooted phones, here. If you are indeed rooted, then item #2, above, already applies and you will need to download and flash any updates manually.

Last edited: