Galaxy S7 audio cutting out

TheZug

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
Experiencing a problem with my S7 that I never encountered with my S3. Audiobooks are stopping randomly, across several apps, primarily when connected to my car stereo, but sometimes when using earbuds.

A bit of background. The first time I plugged my S7 into the car, I experienced nasty static no matter what I tried to play, music or audiobook. After digging around I found a suggestion to turn on the UHQ upscaler. This worked, at least for music. But I still got static in the Smart Audiobook Player app. Static continued even when I bought a shielded auxiliary cable.

Finally I figured out that if I switched the decoder on Smart Audiobook Player and toggled the UHQ upscaler, the static would go away--but that's when I encountered my present problem.

Smart Audiobook Player has 3 decoder settings: D2 Prescan + System, D2 + System, and System. Not sure what any of that means, other than assuming that System must be the Galaxy's built-in decoder. In any case, ONLY the System setting gets rid of the static -- and ONLY the System setting has the random audio stops.

The audio interruptions can begin as soon as 15 seconds into listening. They've occurred a minute apart, or sometimes I'll go 30 minutes without an interruption. I figure it has to be something with system resources, but I can't determine what.

The interruptions when listening with headphones are less frequent, but they still occur.

The only mode in which I have not experienced an interruption is when listening through the speaker.

I know what you're thinking -- try another app. I installed Material Player, and upon opening I heard crisp, clear sound, and thought my problems were over. But within just a few minutes the interruptions began there too, and were at least as bad.

I have not experienced ANY interruptions when listening to music via Rocket Player.

I found mentions of this time of problem going all the way back to the Galaxy S2, and that's extremely frustrating. Has no one come up with a solution yet? I could try a factory reset, but many people have said it didn't solve their problem. Could it be a hardware problem? Should I exchange the phone?

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks!

eran says

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Happens for me in YouTube and also when watching baseball on the foxsportsgo app. Happens at random intervals. Sometimes the volume will start to lower and then go back up again, sometimes it fades out, and sometimes it just cuts out. Doesn't happen on bluetooth for me, just through the phone's speaker.

Tskromer

May 11, 2015
Visit site
The same thing happens to me. When I am playing music or video loaded onto my phone I have no issues - so I don't think it's a hardware issue. When I am streaming, the audio cuts out randomly on the phone's speaker. I would really like to find a solution to this problem!

Daarkblood

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Experiencing a problem with my S7 that I never encountered with my S3. Audiobooks are stopping randomly, across several apps, primarily when connected to my car stereo, but sometimes when using earbuds.

A bit of background. The first time I plugged my S7 into the car, I experienced nasty static no matter what I tried to play, music or audiobook. After digging around I found a suggestion to turn on the UHQ upscaler. This worked, at least for music. But I still got static in the Smart Audiobook Player app. Static continued even when I bought a shielded auxiliary cable.

Finally I figured out that if I switched the decoder on Smart Audiobook Player and toggled the UHQ upscaler, the static would go away--but that's when I encountered my present problem.

Smart Audiobook Player has 3 decoder settings: D2 Prescan + System, D2 + System, and System. Not sure what any of that means, other than assuming that System must be the Galaxy's built-in decoder. In any case, ONLY the System setting gets rid of the static -- and ONLY the System setting has the random audio stops.

The audio interruptions can begin as soon as 15 seconds into listening. They've occurred a minute apart, or sometimes I'll go 30 minutes without an interruption. I figure it has to be something with system resources, but I can't determine what.

The interruptions when listening with headphones are less frequent, but they still occur.

The only mode in which I have not experienced an interruption is when listening through the speaker.

I know what you're thinking -- try another app. I installed Material Player, and upon opening I heard crisp, clear sound, and thought my problems were over. But within just a few minutes the interruptions began there too, and were at least as bad.

I have not experienced ANY interruptions when listening to music via Rocket Player.

I found mentions of this time of problem going all the way back to the Galaxy S2, and that's extremely frustrating. Has no one come up with a solution yet? I could try a factory reset, but many people have said it didn't solve their problem. Could it be a hardware problem? Should I exchange the phone?

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks!

I am having trouble the same issue and it's driving me nuts. Doesn't matter what app I'm using my phones speakers cut out after the first 1-5 seconds of audio. If anybody finds a solution to this please share because I can't seem to find a solution.
-Samsung s7 edge

aquinns

May 1, 2016
Visit site
I've been experiencing this same issue with my Edge for the past few days and I'm convinced it's a bug. After a few seconds of loading, the audio is completely muted. This only happens intermittently though, which is strange. I contacted Samsung this morning and was advised to do a factory reset which did not solve the issue... at all.. so I would advise against that. Wiping the cache partition didn't help either. Would love to hear if someone found a solution!

I'm only experiencing this with the phone's speakers. With headphones, it's as if there weren't any problems.

Last edited:

sling1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm betting static is due to FM radio chip in device acting as antenna through aux = static sound audio cutout.
Best way to get around until fix is released - buy wireless music bluetooth receiver.
They can be purchased from Amazon for 15.00 +.
I picked on up last week problem solved.

Bridget Booth

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I'd try a factory reset, then warranty. I haven't seen, though, whether you've tested these applications with a Bluetooth connection? If one app works flawlessly, that would seem to rule out a hardware problem, but that's such a headscratcher of a problem that I wouldn't rush to rule anything out. If it works over Bluetooth, then that might indicate a problem with the jack. I know my old S5 would get really janky with some apps and peripherals but play really nicely with others. Turns out, the headphone jack was filthy. Given that the phone pauses audio when it loses a connection with anything in that jack, that could be a possibility.

9rat

May 7, 2016
Visit site
I am experiencing random cut outs of audio during media playback through the speaker. Bluetooth and headset working fine. Notifications and other sounds working fine. Mainly during video playback, streaming and video stored on device, the sound plays for a few seconds then cuts out. I didn't have this issue before the most recent OTA update. I have tried factory resets, rebooting, wiping cache, even custom roms. Does anyone else have this issue? What is the solution?

Last edited:

Neezus

May 12, 2016
Visit site
I am also having drop out. Youtube videos make me crazy. I also get drop outs while wearing VR headset.

Any ideas?

Exactly the same thing. Dropouts through speaker, intermittently through Spotify, soundcloud, podcast adfict, Apple music, black music player and YouTube

Frank_Estuary

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I am also having this issue.

I've had an S7 Edge for two months but it's only in the last few days I started to notice sound dropping out on YouTube and in the Samsung Music App.

Are Samsung aware of the problem?

jeaves726

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here...

Did any of you find a solution in the meantime?

Still having the issue on a brand new s7. I've tried the factory reset, and wiping the cache. Nothing helps. Samsung wants to give me a refurbished phone to replace this brand new (2 week old phone). It's obviously a system thing so I hate to give up a brand new phone and have the same problem. Any help?

Denise178876876

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
You need to hold the menu button, volume up button and the off button at the same time and it fixes it. The woman at Vodafone said the issue can come back but just hold those 3 keys again.

Bender78

Aug 10, 2017
Visit site
Music has been cutting out on all my players for the last few weeks (Podcast Addict, Black Player, Phonograph). I followed all instructions of changing settings so far, hard reset, bluetooth reset etc but nothing helped.

I noticed that when I went to device maintenance under settings and hit the "fix now" button, it would say 1 app was closed and the music would start replaying automatically.

I then used a task killer and just killed app by app when it paused again. Turns out it was a text/mms message app I have been using for years. It seems only to have become an issue recently.

Since deleting the app, I have listened to a podcast for 45mins+ and the sound hasn't cut out yet. Hopefully will save someone a hard reset as this seems to have worked for me. So far!

Makinen79

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Music has been cutting out on all my players for the last few weeks (Podcast Addict, Black Player, Phonograph). I followed all instructions of changing settings so far, hard reset, bluetooth reset etc but nothing helped.

I noticed that when I went to device maintenance under settings and hit the "fix now" button, it would say 1 app was closed and the music would start replaying automatically.

I then used a task killer and just killed app by app when it paused again. Turns out it was a text/mms message app I have been using for years. It seems only to have become an issue recently.

Since deleting the app, I have listened to a podcast for 45mins+ and the sound hasn't cut out yet. Hopefully will save someone a hard reset as this seems to have worked for me. So far!
Which text app?

Makinen79

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
FOUND THE ISSUE! Another article with s8 volume cutting out mentioned others had sound return when they pressed on back of phone. I tried it and it worked! Must be an internal hardware issue!!!!! I grip mine in wide/horizontal view and press on back of phone in middle and sound returns while pressing and cuts out as soon as I release! I really like my S7 over iphone but this type of issue will make me switch back. Horrible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE