Recieving many text messages at once and auto correct/auto complete issues

flyerhell

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I searched for this on the forum and didn't see anything so apologies if these questions were already answered:

1) I usually turn my phone off at night...mostly because I don't want people to think that I'm ignoring their calls. However, when I turn my phone on, unless I send a text message to someone, I don't receive any text messages. As soon as I send a text message, I get multiple text messages. I sometimes send a text message to my email address just to see my messages. I never had this problem on my old Droid DNA. Does anyone experience this issue? What can I do to fix it?

2) I find the auto correct /auto complete feature on the S7 to be incredibly annoying. It not only corrects typos (which is helpful of course) but also changes correctly spelled words. For example, if I am writing to a friend and I write "Hey Mike!" the text might be changed to "Hey Scott!" Even more annoying, sometimes the words are changed to something that doesn't even make sense. I might write something like "I am good!" and the phone might change that to "I am I!" Short of disabling auto correct and auto complete, is there anything that I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
First for your SMS issue, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be by default, unless you're using a third party app that wasn't setup correctly, but check your sync settings. Be sure your SMS app has permission to sync. Besides that the only thing I can think of would be if something was preventing your SMS from auto starting when the device is powered on, like a memory saver or power saver app. It's almost like your phone is starting in SafeMode and only turning on apps that you initiate, but I think you would be aware of that for many other reasons. You may want to try a third party app from the PS. There might be a setting that incidentally got changed and the install of another SMS would likely change it back.

For your autocorrect issue. Does your keyboard have prediction running at the top as you type? A lot of times predictive keyboards will ask if odd or rarely used words should be saved to your personal dictionary. You can usually also look through your personal dictionary in the settings for the keyboard. This would give you the opportunity to get rid of words that you rarely use which could be affecting what it is correcting to. Also many of the stock keyboards have a calibrate function for typing. So if you're getting a lot of typos calibration may be needed.

If you have prediction on, and the word appears correctly in the prediction area but changes as you move on there may be something else going on there like a language issue. Maybe it's English but it's English British ~ so you may want to give that a look.

flyerhell

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks very much for your quick reply.

I'm using the Verizon SMS app so I don't think the sync settings would have changed. Apologies for the beginner question but how can I check that the app has permission to sync? I checked the permissions for the SMS app and the permissions for syncing but didn't see one specifically for the Verizon SMS app.

For the text issue, I think that my issue is that "predictive text" isn't predicting my text messages correctly. I've turned it off and I'll see if that helps.

Thanks again!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Settings> accounts & sync, it should be listed there. If not go into your app manager and check the app's permissions, it sounded like you already did, but open the details of the app and touch permissions be sure data or sync is turned on.

Something that wet both may have overlooked that is incredibly simple is the app's settings. Does it have "rules" there maybe a rule about behavior during night time hours. You may just need to adjust the hours to match your schedule. Of course if you use the app during a restricted time it assumes you're wanting the app to work and then delivers your messages.

Of course the glaring thing for me is it's a Verizon app. They are not known for their apps. I tried using it for awhile when I was shopping around for a new SMS. There were so many things to not like about that app. Just my 2 cents.

VidJunky posted via the HTC M9