Why can't I hear well when talking to someone on my phone?

A

AC Question

I cannot hear well from my phone when talking to someone

I spilled a drop of juice on the earpiece of my Galaxy 7 and now when talking to somebody I can barely hear them even if I turn the volume all the way up, I tried to wipe it with a Q-tip and alcohol and David ride with toilet paper and dry Q-tips but nothing seems to work and does anybody know how to fix it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The speaker is probably damaged from the moisture, and would have to be replaced. Can you still hear people on speakerphone, or using wired or Bluetooth headsets?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Most likely, the juice left a nasty, sticky residue on the small speakers. A repair shop could probably take it apart and clean it out.. because that is probably what it will take.

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: I cannot hear well from my phone when talking to someone

I'm sorry, but the phone is waterproof and the juice is water soluble right?
Please try rinsing the earpiece under a mild stream of water from a faucet and let dry completely.
Now if it were a drop of waterproof glue or nail polish, etc., you would have a repair need.
Good luck

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input, but I would not recommend rinsing a phone under running water, even if the phone has a reasonably high water resistance rating. There have been too many posts on this forum from people who found that their supposedly water resistant phones started malfunctioning after water exposure (which could happen if there were minor flaws in the phone's structural integrity, from trauma or defective build). It would be reasonable to use rubbing alcohol, though, which would be a better solvent.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
It says in the manual to gently rinse sticky liquids off phone with clean water and let dry... it also says do it at your own peril!
Also be careful with alcohols as some (acetone) will dissolve the plastic. Isopropyl alcohol not so bad. Not convinced it will remove dried on juice.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It says in the manual to gently rinse sticky liquids off phone with clean water and let dry... it also says do it at your own peril!
Also be careful with alcohols as some (acetone) will dissolve the plastic. Isopropyl alcohol not so bad. Not convinced it will remove dried on juice.

Wow, talk about mixed signals in the manual!:confused: I think it's generally ok to wipe crud off with a moistened cloth, but yeah, actually rinsing it under running water seems pretty risky.

Good point about acetone!

mitul_mehta

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site

Switch off the phone and then put in a rice jar and leave it overnight. Check in the morning and it should work like before.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

The rice trick works with clean water but cordial would leave a sticky residue behind and gum up the speaker diapragm i reckon.

antheocy

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
water or liquid damage is the worst thing for a phone or generally electronics. sometimes its cheaper to replace than to fix. maybe try a little steam to clear away the sticky residue then maybe a hair drier to abosorb the left over humidity.if it doesnt work buy new ones

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair