No notification sound/vibration with default Text Message app

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi, with the default Message app, has anyone noticed that if you're in a message thread and you receive a text message, no notification sound or vibration occurs?

If you're out of the message thread, then all notifications work as usual to let you know you received a new text message. This isn't a big issue, but I can see people missing the occasional text message if eg. they leave the message thread on screen, look away from the phone, and receive a new text message. I can see no way of fixing this with the default Text Message app. My previous phone (an ancient HTC) didn't have this issue.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings, applications, messages and under Notifications select Allow. I had the same issue happen to me, I don't know how it got disabled in the first place

Posted via the Android Central App

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Go to settings, applications, messages and under Notifications select Allow. I had the same issue happen to me, I don't know how it got disabled in the first place

Posted via the Android Central App

Not sure if you read this part of my original post:
"If you're out of the message thread, then all notifications work as usual to let you know you received a new text message."

The issue only exists when you're in a message thread and you receive a text message from the same contact - no notification vibration or sound will occur.

Needkeys

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately I think this issue is by design. I can't recall where I read it (on AC I believe), but my memory is that Samsung didn't believe a notification would be necessary under these circumstances (app open...in a message thread). The assumption, I suppose, is that there was no need for a notification since the user would have the thread open and would presumably be interacting with the app. It's a bad assumption and the notification should really be there regardless.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm just surprised that there's no way to configure this "design" feature.

Even more surprised that not more people are "complaining" about this issue. I'm sure Samsung would listen if enough people "complained"?

diversebydesign

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been having same problem and tried every notification seeing I could think of to no avail. Even while in the message thread, there is a notification on/off option but it seems to always revert to off of I leave the thread and come back. Frustrating as all hell. So I take it the best solution at this point is a third party app? Damn.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae