Calendar descriptions truncated in week view

FrankInSF

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
On my S3 (Kit Kat) and S5 (Lollipop), I always used the stock Samsung Calendar app in week view, synced to my Google calendar. On my new S7 (Marshmallow 6.0.1) on Sprint, week view on the stock calendar app only shows part of the first word of the description, which is not very useful. It doesn't wrap onto multiple lines like it used to and as it still does on the Day view.

Attached are screenshots of the wrapped descriptions on the S5 and the truncated descriptions on the S7.

I thought it was just me, but then I saw the same problem on my girlfriend's S6 (Marshmallow) on T-Mobile. I haven't found any other mention of this on the web. I have Sprint's latest software (APD3). My Calendar is version 3.1.31 (Settings > Applications > Application Manager > Calendar)

Is this a known bug in Marshmallow? Or a bug only in Samsung's calendar? Is there a place to report it? I called Samsung support at 844-876-5861 via the Samsung+ app, and she said it was a Google problem, gave me a case number, and told me to take the phone to a Best Buy store (not where I bought it) to have them downgrade or upgrade the software. I haven't done that yet. I'll try some other calendar app, too.

Edit: I've also noticed that I can't find two features I used to use: the "Select date to view" feature from day-week-month view and the "Copy" feature from event view that lets you make a copy of an event (like the "Duplicate event" feature on the web-based Google Calendar).

And some good news? The date-and-time picker looks completely different, but I've found all of the previous features in it. FYI you can tap the year to jump ahead a whole year or more at a time. And instead of having to swipe or flick the time spinners, you can tap the numbers below or above or hold them down to auto-repeat. The minutes spinner even auto-repeats in tens, making setting a :30 time easier than before.

Attachments

• S5 Lollipop wraps 2016-04-27 21.12.17.png
    S5 Lollipop wraps 2016-04-27 21.12.17.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 16
  • S7 Marshmallow truncates 2016-04-27 21.11.59.png
    S7 Marshmallow truncates 2016-04-27 21.11.59.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
On my Nexus 6P with Marshmallow 6.0.1 and Calendar app version 5.5-121019539-release (Settings -> Apps -> Calendar), I see truncated descriptions only when an event is so short that its block will not permit the full display - for example, a 15 minute meeting with a long description.

Otherwise, my calendar looks like your first image.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
On my Nexus 6P with Marshmallow 6.0.1 and Calendar app version 5.5-121019539-release (Settings -> Apps -> Calendar), I see truncated descriptions only when an event is so short that its block will not permit the full display - for example, a 15 minute meeting with a long description.

Otherwise, my calendar looks like your first image.

OP is using the stock Samsung Calendar, whereas Im assuming, you are using Google Calendar.

To the OP, my understanding for Samsung apps is that they do not have just one app for all devices. As in one calendar app for all S series devices. The calendar app on the GS5 is different than the calendar app on the GS7. Thats why your calendar app doesnt get app updates, For it to be updated, it requires a system update.

FrankInSF

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
(OP) I installed Business Calendar 2 from Appgenix, and its free version has all the features that are broken or missing in the S7's built-in Samsung calendar (and more). So it's my solution. I'll just ignore the built-in calendar app. Thanks for your feedback.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non