Am I the only person who hates AMOLED screens nowadays??

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I have seen phones with screen burn it. But only at stores where the devices stay on all day long. In reality these phones shouldn't suffer from screen burn in. Those in stores will leave the same image on 10 hours a day. In real life no one does that. So burn in is not a issue although it can happen.

KnicksALLday

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
i always had a htc phone so i never experienced amoled until i got the s7... it makes me wonder how come i didnt have an amoled screen earlier

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I have always preferred amoled screens and I've never had a problem. The first amoled screen I got was a Samsung phone in 2009.

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
It's been quite a while since we have been using IPS displays and AMOLED displays on mobile devices, but at some point in time, people now seem to bash on IPS displays. Sure, AMOLED screens have come a long way from when it started. It can get bright, it spends less power in always on mode or ambient mode, but not a lot of people seem to talk about how AMOLED screens deteriorate over time. I am not going to talk about burn ins because, lets face it, that rarely happens nowdays. But the problem with colors being less accurate overtime and the low refresh rates when the screen is dim is still some of the things that makes me steer away from AMOLED screens. What are some of you guys thoughts?

I use my phone for information. Not a complete color gamut. So, the ability to see the content on the screen in direct sunlight is perfect for me.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
After three years, my old Galaxy S4 started to show some status bar burn in. However, it was very faint and only visible on a bright white background. A few days running an AMOLED burn-in fixer app quickly made it go away though. Ever since Google introduced the translucent status bar in KitKat though, status bar burn in should be much less of a problem.

IMO the benefits are well worth the tradeoffs.

GraCal

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't a fan of the AMOLED screen until I got the S7, they seemed too dim. The S7 is impressive in many ways, and the screen is at the top of that list.

joshwilks

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
I can't say I've noticed any deterioration over time in any of the AMOLED screens I've owned but they do seem harder to view in direct sunlight. Having said that I do think the positives (more energy efficient, high contrast, deep blacks) more than make up for it.

washuai

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I had a device with terrible miura, ps vita, I think. It was always annoying me. I think I had a warranty replacement with annoying muira because I like to watch things in the dark and seeing blotches in the black distracted me. It is much less of a problem on this S7. It bothers me in the sense I like to use tech longer, than corps want me to. Even if I hold onto this phone for 4 years, it probably won't be a big deal though my screen is probably on Mir than the average person. You can turn the over saturation off. I like sustainable, BIFL, stuff, so in that sense, I'm annoyed. I agree, I worry more about that battery. I charge this thing to 100 % 3 times daily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech