S7 Extremely hot and laggy lately

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I've had my S7 since April, and everything had been fine up until about a week ago. Lately the phone has been getting very hot, even under just basic use like texting. The phone will get very hot (100F or higher according to GSAM), even when I close out all the other apps. I'll try cooling the phone down with a fan, but it starts getting hot again after. It gets so laggy that when I'm texting, the characters show up on a delay after I've typed them in. I haven't installed any new apps recently, so I have no idea what this could be. According to GSAM, the Android System is #1 in the list of battery consumption. Everything else is under 3%. I really don't want to have to factory reset this phone and set it up all over again... I wonder if this can be diagnosed and fixed without having to do that. Battery life also took a nose dive to 10%+ per hour, when I used to be able to maintain 3-6% per hour. Anyone else having this issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

Also, see if this happens in Safe Mode: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-25053

If you have an SD card inserted, Unmount it (in Settings>Storage) and see if the overheating and lag persist.