The $540 G930F on amazon vs G930A

May 7, 2015
Visit site
hello all, I am unfamiliar with how international versions of a phone works. I currently use AT&T Go Phone which will allow any unlocked phone on their service for the flat $45 a month plan. I am curious what the major differences are between the G930F and the G930A, aside from the obvious spec differences found through google. Am i open to getting less bands or towers, worse speed, etc? Or is this all a marketing scam so that people buy the more expensive american version?

ZoneXQ

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I'll let someone else address the band differences and other aspects. But you won't have an FM broadcast receiver with the F.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You won't get Samsung pay and warranty mainly but you will get the better exynos process, no ugly carrier logo and crapware. Updates vary depending from which country the phone is originally from. Overall device should feel more snappy than your AT&T versions. You also mentioned you are OK with missing bands or certain feature like VoLTE not working so you are good on that.

And also it's not some elaborate scam to buy American version or anything, the ones you see from Amazon for the G930F are mostly third party sellers not Samsung or Amazon direct.

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I wasn't hot on the idea of bands missing, just wondering if it will result in me noticing any differences if they are missing. Has anyone done speed tests or comparisons? If the phone comes with no warranty, then maybe I am better off buying a $500 used one. after taxes (direct from amazon) it is ~$570. I also didn't read that the 8 core vs 4 core made too much of a difference.

ZoneXQ

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't hot on the idea of bands missing, just wondering if it will result in me noticing any differences if they are missing. Has anyone done speed tests or comparisons? If the phone comes with no warranty, then maybe I am better off buying a $500 used one. after taxes (direct from amazon) it is ~$570. I also didn't read that the 8 core vs 4 core made too much of a difference.
I have both an SM-G930F and an SM-G930U here. The U model should be comparable to the A model in terms of its processor (maybe a little faster due to the lack of bloatware). I can tell you that between these two devices, the F model is noticeably more snappy as far as how quick the screens load and refresh. This is likely due to two reasons. One is the faster exynos 8-core processor running at a higher clock speed. And the other is that it's my understanding the exynos-equipped S7s hold previously loaded apps in cache for quick access. Whereas the snapdragon-equipped S7s reload the apps each time. That's what I've read at least.

One of the ways I can easily see the loading speed difference is to go to Settings > Applications > Application Manager and watch for scroll latency when I immediately swipe to scroll the apps list. On the F model, it almost never hesitates. But on the U model it absolutely always hesitates, lags, then finally catches up and scrolls smoothly from that point forward. Both devices have virtually the same app lists. The exynos is noticeably faster.

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I have both an SM-G930F and an SM-G930U here. The U model should be comparable to the A model in terms of its processor (maybe a little faster due to the lack of bloatware). I can tell you that between these two devices, the F model is noticeably more snappy as far as how quick the screens load and refresh. This is likely due to two reasons. One is the faster exynos 8-core processor running at a higher clock speed. And the other is that it's my understanding the exynos-equipped S7s hold previously loaded apps in cache for quick access. Whereas the snapdragon-equipped S7s reload the apps each time. That's what I've read at least.

One of the ways I can easily see the loading speed difference is to go to Settings > Applications > Application Manager and watch for scroll latency when I immediately swipe to scroll the apps list. On the F model, it almost never hesitates. But on the U model it absolutely always hesitates, lags, then finally catches up and scrolls smoothly from that point forward. Both devices have virtually the same app lists. The exynos is noticeably faster.
interesting to know, thanks. Have you done download speed tests comparing your network to see if they are the same?

ZoneXQ

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
interesting to know, thanks. Have you done download speed tests comparing your network to see if they are the same?
No, because the 930F is on T-Mobile and the 930U is on Sprint. T-Mobile has a poor LTE signal at my location so I get very slow DL speeds on the 930F (never more than 3 mbps). Whereas the Sprint service here is better -not great but better- so the 930U usually gets DL speeds of 7.5 mbps or so. So no comparison is possible for me.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well as long as the right bands are there which are in F or U, you should see similar download speeds. Shouldn't matter as long as you have the right APN settings etc

ZoneXQ

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I forgot to mention that the battery lasts significantly longer on the 930F than on the domestic S7 variants. I've both read about this and experienced it. The 930F just goes and goes. While my 930U will go without a charge for longer than a couple of 930Ps I've had in my possession -possibly due to bundled crap on the P models that's loaded in the background and stays running- it simply can't compete with the 930F for up time between charges.