Unlocked GS7

NismoZ

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If you pick up the unlocked GS7 that came out, it actually works on all carriers. It also doesn't come from a carrier either, right from Samsung with no bloat. Therefore, you get more android updates quickly. I did wonder how the phones baseband gets updated? I mean if it's not attached to a carrier, how does it get whatever baseband updated (updated cell tower for reception)?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
If you pick up the unlocked GS7 that came out, it actually works on all carriers. It also doesn't come from a carrier either, right from Samsung with no bloat. Therefore, you get more android updates quickly. I did wonder how the phones baseband gets updated? I mean if it's not attached to a carrier, how does it get whatever baseband updated (updated cell tower for reception)?

You would need to do updates via Samsung SmartSwitch

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Can you explain the whole smart switch update thing? I guess I'm sorta confused as to what that means. Does it mean I need to install updates via smart switch and if so how? Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Can you explain the whole smart switch update thing? I guess I'm sorta confused as to what that means. Does it mean I need to install updates via smart switch and if so how? Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

You download SmartSwitch, you plug in your phone and it detects any updates that are available. Downloads it and installs it

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Eh actually seems to be getting less updates than the carrier versions... Kind of defeats the purpose of an unlocked phone if updates are slower.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Even at&t version got the July security updates but no love for the unlocked versions. Not cool man not cool !!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Even at&t version got the July security updates but no love for the unlocked versions. Not cool man not cool !!

That is the whole point of buying unlocked. Crazy there is no love for US unlocked. Even international unlocked is getting updates.