S7 can barely get 6 hours of battery life

EpicAbcdude

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
I bought my Galaxy S7 from AT&T last monday, and i've been loving it a lot. But a few days later, I started to notice how bad the battery life was for me. at first I could barely get around 4 and a half hours without dropping below 20%, so I uninstalled facebook. The first day of having it uninstalled was good, I got around 8 hours out of it that time, but that wasn't even close to enough just to get me through the day. Yesterday was probably my worst time yet, only about 6 hours of battery and only 4 hours of screen on time, which was ridiculous. Here were the stats: http://i.imgur.com/edhyqbv.jpg http://i.imgur.com/kIWH07i.png

Now I tried to see if my screen is the problem, at 20% of battery i dropped it down about quarter way, and it still burned through it like mad. It bums me out, since I love this phone, but i'm worried to use it through the day just so I can use it when it's really important. Last night I did an idle test by leaving it unplugged all night, and it went from 80% to 55% over about 9 hours, with AOD on, though. Could that be linked to the problem?

Last edited:

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
If you are playing pokemon go and using high accuracy GPS and have the screen on the whole will chew up the battery. What is your screen on time ? If you can do a day of turning off the GPS or taking it to a more battery friendly mode and not play pokemon go and see if anything is better.

EpicAbcdude

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
I played pokemon go for around 20 minutes, and then closed out of it completely through the manager, even after rebooting the phone and not opening pokemon go, it still burns through a decent amount of battery.

I just turned location services to GPS only, it seems like that may have helped some. My screen on time is usually 4 and a half hours.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I just turned location services to GPS only, it seems like that may have helped some. My screen on time is usually 4 and a half hours.

I have mine set to GPS only also, it helps definitely.

Also make sure you set your Mobile Networks to LTE/CDMA if you're VZ or LTE/GSM/UMTS if you're AT&T.
Settings>Mobile Networks>Network Mode

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
First, how is your signal? If you have a really poor connection on either your mobile radio or your WiFi (or even worse, both), that'll do a number on your battery since it just eats away at your charge at a sustained rate.

--- skip this if you are going to get bored about a battery discussion ---
Quick primer here... there are two sides to battery performance; active and idle. Everyone loves to post their screen times, but that screen time is only one portion of the equation and it is directly related to your idle load. I consider idle load the boring bits.... the power needed to keep your phone running... things like your radios, the power systems, system kernel, etc. Stuff that is running all the time, even when your screen is off. If you have a high idle load, it will do a number on your screen time because it'll be sitting there, 24/7, draining away power.

As for your phone, 4.5hours is actually a very respectable amount of screen time for the S7...... if...... that came over a full day's worth of use. Over 6 hours, though, you should see a higher number. Now.. the Pokemon effect... let's ignore that game for a bit because it is absolutely BRUTAL on batteries. It's ability to consume power is probably unrivaled since it is cranking away on most every system on your phone. Outside of that game, on an S7, if you powered it up to 100% and just started doing some light and medium duty tasks, straight on through you should actually get closer to 6 straight hours of screen time before it starts to chirp at you. For those light/mid level stuff, your active drain percentage should be in the mid to high teens ... which works out to about 5 or 6 hours of screen time. Again, that doesn't really factor in idle time...
----- you can come to here :)

But you are getting 4.5, with another 90 minutes of idle time. You really shouldn't be seeing an idle drain above 1.5%/h....

The problem is that stock battery stats are junk. They don't tell you anything or give you any sort of context. I would try a battery monitoring app like GSAM to give you a little bit more detail. It's near impossible to use the stock battery stats to diagnose and fix a battery drain issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish