U.K. S7 unlocked for use in the U.S.?

greatbrit

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I just bought an S7 SM-G930F in the U.K. at carphone warehouse, and a monthly plan on O2. From what I have read it, *I think* it came unlocked, but only for Europe, and that I then need to us it for 5 minutes. But I wasn't clear if using those 5 minutes made it 'unlockable' or actually 'unlocked'.

I am planning on going to the U.S. soon and buying a PAYG Sim (maybe on TMobile). Do I have to do anything to unlock it for use in the U.S., or will it automatically accept the U.S. SIM?

Thanks very much for any help.

(Sorry if this has been asked/answered, but I couldn't find it in search, or on google)

Last edited:

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

According to willmyphonework.net, the global Galaxy S7 SM-G930F (the unlocked global model) will work perfectly in the US on AT&T and T-Mobile, but will not work on Sprint or Verizon. Do note this global model also doesn't work with Samsung Pay.

greatbrit

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks very much for the reply Tom. If I am understanding correctly, sounds like great news; just pop in a U.S. TMO sim and off I go.

Paul

missy1243

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm not very techy. I have Tmobile and want the S7 in silver, but they only have the silver in the edge, which I don't want. I found a Samsung Galaxy S7 Factory Unlocked Phone 32 GB - Internationally Sourced (Middle East/African/Asia/EU/LATAM) Version G930F- Titanium Silver phone on Amazon that I'm thinking about ordering, but I live in the U.S. will I have problems with the phone if I order it from amazon since it's the international version? Or you're saying that it'll work since I have Tmobile? Thanks for your help!

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm not very techy. I have Tmobile and want the S7 in silver, but they only have the silver in the edge, which I don't want. I found a Samsung Galaxy S7 Factory Unlocked Phone 32 GB - Internationally Sourced (Middle East/African/Asia/EU/LATAM) Version G930F- Titanium Silver phone on Amazon that I'm thinking about ordering, but I live in the U.S. will I have problems with the phone if I order it from amazon since it's the international version? Or you're saying that it'll work since I have Tmobile? Thanks for your help!
Hello!

First off, there's no such thing as a dumb question. I'm smart with phones, but I'm sure there's something you're great at that would puzzle me.

As mentioned above, that model will work on T-Mobile in the US. However, it may not come with a warranty, and isn't going to be certified to work with T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling or Voice Over LTE (VOLTE) features.

Samsung recently announced a completely unlocked model for the US that would better serve you. Rather than link to a particular purchasing site, here is a link to the AC article that contains links to multiple sites, so you can shop around.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

First off, there's no such thing as a dumb question. I'm smart with phones, but I'm sure there's something you're great at that would puzzle me.

As mentioned above, that model will work on T-Mobile in the US. However, it may not come with a warranty, and isn't going to be certified to work with T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling or Voice Over LTE (VOLTE) features.

Samsung recently announced a completely unlocked model for the US that would better serve you. Rather than link to a particular purchasing site, here is a link to the AC article that contains links to multiple sites, so you can shop around.
But he wants the silver color, Samsung's US unlocked model SM-G930U is only available in black. In US silver S7 is not available from any carriers or thru official unlocked.

missy1243

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Hello!

So if I don't ever use wifi calling (which I don't), and I don't think I use VOLTE (I don't even know what that is) then the phone would work fine for me? I found out I can get a waranty plan through iQue repairs, which sounds like it's better than getting insurance through t mobile anyway, so I should be ok on the warranty issue.

missy1243

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm most interested in the silver, but if I can't get the silver I'd get the gold. I appreciate your response, and I think I'll get the unlocked international one on amazon. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any service issues, or that the phone would be slow or glitchy or have any weird problems by using it in the US. I can also just get one from the t mobile store, but I'm just looking for a little cheaper option.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello!

That one doesn't come in silver like the poster is looking for though.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm most interested in the silver, but if I can't get the silver I'd get the gold. I appreciate your response, and I think I'll get the unlocked international one on amazon. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any service issues, or that the phone would be slow or glitchy or have any weird problems by using it in the US. I can also just get one from the t mobile store, but I'm just looking for a little cheaper option.

That one should actually be faster (and get better battery life) the international with exynos chip seems to be outperforming the US based snapdragon 820 variants.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
So if I don't ever use wifi calling (which I don't), and I don't think I use VOLTE (I don't even know what that is) then the phone would work fine for me? I found out I can get a waranty plan through iQue repairs, which sounds like it's better than getting insurance through t mobile anyway, so I should be ok on the warranty issue.

Yes

nik19605

Banned
Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Ok, now i have a stupid question, and i am not doubting the merits of the Exynos chip or trying to start a fight with this question. Why if the Exynos chip is better does Samsung not use it in all there Galaxy S7 devices instead of using the Snapdragon chips in american phones?

Posted via the Android Central App

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok, now i have a stupid question, and i am not doubting the merits of the Exynos chip or trying to start a fight with this question. Why if the Exynos chip is better does Samsung not use it in all there Galaxy S7 devices instead of using the Snapdragon chips in american phones?

That is the million dollar question. Last year Samsung went all exynos (the 810 was a disaster so not surprising) maybe this year they thought the 820 was better, but seems to still be having issues. Plus I remember reading somewhere it is cheaper to use SD chips over their exynos chips, I can't find the article at the moment...

missy1243

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Do you know what the difference is between the G930F and G930FD models are? I found them both on amazon, and the FD model is slightly cheaper, and has a rose gold/pink model in addition to the other colors, but maybe it's not as good of a phone? I'm hoping you'll know more about that. Thanks for your help!

auditman

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Do you know what the difference is between the G930F and G930FD models are? I found them both on amazon, and the FD model is slightly cheaper, and has a rose gold/pink model in addition to the other colors, but maybe it's not as good of a phone? I'm hoping you'll know more about that. Thanks for your help!

Same phone except fd is dual simcard

missy1243

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
What is the point of having 2 sim cards? Can you still use an SD card to get more memory as well? I have 1 sim card and 1 SD card, so I should be fine with the dual sim card phone, right?

auditman

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Should work with just one inserted. Some user have work and personal sim. That will benefit them in carrying just one phone.