Is It Me or Does Voice-to-Text Suck?

maino22

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
The translations are horrible. I will say a sentence like a robot hoping it will pick it up clearly and it spits out something completely different. What's shown kind of ryhmes but I am speaking clearly into the phone.

It was perfect on my S6, but I've always noticed this difference since I switched to the S7.

Am I alone?

maino22

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Grrr, I'm using it in a text exchange as we speak and I'm losing my mind. Maybe Google doesn't recognize NY accents.

I kidding! But there's no way to train it, right? Back on the older models, you were able to adapt the service to your voice (saying, "The quick brown fox......)

maino22

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I use the default service that's on the keyboard, which I believe is Google, because it says Google as I'm speaking.

Yes, it is Google voice typing

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I said steady pace and it translated to Bettie Page..

Just did that by voice and worked perfectly. Must be the new yorker accent.

Posted via the Android Central App

Chas Briggs

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
The translations are horrible. I will say a sentence like a robot hoping it will pick it up clearly and it spits out something completely different. What's shown kind of ryhmes but I am speaking clearly into the phone.

It was perfect on my S6, but I've always noticed this difference since I switched to the S7.

Am I alone?

Your not alone voice to text on my note 8 is garbage

mine will say words that don't exist . I'll look and say what the hell . who programmed this thing helen keller

try a new phone see what happens

Last edited by a moderator:

siobhan67

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
I was having the exact same problem with my new Note 8. The voice texting was absolutely awful, and I agree with so many of the posts above. But I learned that I needed to make Google Voice or Google keyboard the default, and then I needed to go in and make that permanent. Otherwise, it's trying to use Bixby, and Bixby is not ready for Primetime yet, by any means. And it will keep reverting to Bixby if you don't make Google Voice permanent. I just typed this post using Google Voice, and did not have to change a single thing.

Julianne Drogin

May 16, 2018
Visit site
I think the voice recognition is terrible, too. It never gets two sentences correct and barely ever one. It types in UNwords that are not even words. (As in, it makes up words.) It is so cumbersome to correct with the keyboard, too. My S6 allowed me to click on the incorrect word and it would give me legitimate options. Most always the intended word was one of the choices. What happened? Is Google sabotaging Android? Bixby is annoying, too.

Jon Rushing

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
You are not alone I have had many problems with this. It even gets worse when you try to correct the auto spell mistakes full words disappear..

Taylor Hollier

Jan 10, 2019
Visit site
I turned off predictive text and Samsung voice input. It then defaulted to Google voice input for my keyboard when I talk to text. Go to your settings, click General management, click language and input, click on-screen keyboard, click manage keyboards, and then unselect Samsung voice input. The Google voice input is 95% more efficient than the Samsung voice input. It also is a lot easier to correct a word simply by clicking the word and it gives you predictive other words to choose from. Without doing the change your default program that diagnosis your talk-to-text is Samsung which does not learn from mistakes.

donannp

Jan 14, 2019
Visit site
I turned off predictive text and Samsung voice input. It then defaulted to Google voice input for my keyboard when I talk to text. Go to your settings, click General management, click language and input, click on-screen keyboard, click manage keyboards, and then unselect Samsung voice input. The Google voice input is 95% more efficient than the Samsung voice input. It also is a lot easier to correct a word simply by clicking the word and it gives you predictive other words to choose from. Without doing the change your default program that diagnosis your talk-to-text is Samsung which does not learn from mistakes.

donannp

Jan 14, 2019
Visit site
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Taylor for this information. I have my regular voice text back on my Galaxy S9 plus! I am thrilled.

1dphagar

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I'm convinced voice to text is getting worse!!
With my S6, it works great. With my S7, it is horrible.
NO, it is not my pronunciation that is the problem!
Here are some examples:
"In honor of Joel" turned to "Connor Pattro"
"Tough day today" turned to "After 8 today"
I could go on with the list.
These are not the steaks from pronunciation. These are translation mistakes.
I've also had a change pronouns from his to their.

All the recommendations I see online are worthless.
The problem is not how we speak.
The problem is the algorithm.
I think they introduce what they thought was a smarter version in the S7, but it's horrible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000