July 1st Security Patch / Kernel Messed Up My Phone

jitter77

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
I think it was July 28th when I updated my S7 from ATT. It was the July 1st patch that introduced Wi-Fi calling and advanced messaging. Anyways to make a long story short it really messed up my phone. ANY web browser is constantly crashing or not loading tabs. I have tried the default browser, chrome, dolphin, UC browser etc etc they all do the same thing. I am also getting random freezes and restarts. For example I had like 80% battery was on the phone with my mom earlier and the phone just shut off. I had 0 problems with the phone till this update...

I tried clearing the partition cache and I have factory reset the phone 2x with no luck. I took the phone to ATT told them the problem and the steps I did and they sent me to best buy to the samsung tech. He reflashed the phone with the update and I am still having the same problems.

I would like to try to roll back the update, but I am having trouble finding stock firmware for the 930A. I do not want to root the phone or void the warranty so is there anything I can do to load older firmware from the SD card that will not mess up the warranty?

Thanks

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think it was July 28th when I updated my S7 from ATT. It was the July 1st patch that introduced Wi-Fi calling and advanced messaging. Anyways to make a long story short it really messed up my phone. ANY web browser is constantly crashing or not loading tabs. I have tried the default browser, chrome, dolphin, UC browser etc etc they all do the same thing. I am also getting random freezes and restarts. For example I had like 80% battery was on the phone with my mom earlier and the phone just shut off. I had 0 problems with the phone till this update...

I tried clearing the partition cache and I have factory reset the phone 2x with no luck. I took the phone to ATT told them the problem and the steps I did and they sent me to best buy to the samsung tech. He reflashed the phone with the update and I am still having the same problems.

I would like to try to roll back the update, but I am having trouble finding stock firmware for the 930A. I do not want to root the phone or void the warranty so is there anything I can do to load older firmware from the SD card that will not mess up the warranty?

Thanks
Unfortunately you can't reload an older firmware through the SD card. After a reset, don't allow the device to automatically restore the device from your Google account backups. See if that is causing the problem. If it is working fine then it could be app related (format your sd card as well). If the problem persists, then I would contact Samsung for a warranty repair or replacement, as it could be a defective device.

jitter77

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
I wondered about the google thing I was just worried about losing the contacts. Anything else I do not care about. I did get the samsung number from ATT so I will try that tomorrow. I like to fix things myself so this is driving me crazy.

EDIT: Thanks so much...I did another factory reset and skipped all the google stuff. I kind of let the phone alone for a bit and surfed around with no crashes. I then added my google account and so far so good. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Last edited:

Joe Volpe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Most recent security patch caused my phone to say kernel in red (top left corner of my screen ) then locked me out of my s5 active & showed⚠with the message "software not recognized by AT&T detected. Plz turn off &bring 2 nearest att store!! I was told it was BRICKED! But a salesman had mercy on me and fixed it. Said to do a reset if it happens again. But NOT 2 ACCEPT OTA UPDATES ANYMORE! I'VE had it 4 over a yr,received every OTA including lollipop 5.1.1 but now suddenly it says "custom" on my startup screen!?? Can any1 tell me what is happening?? Thanks

Joe Volpe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Nobody else?? Fortunately my marshmallow update OTA WORKED! But u turned off OTA security patches until I know what's wrong! Phone still says custom at startup. Never did before security patch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol