No Notification "Preview in Pop Ups" / Peeking

Oversized XML

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Picked up my new S7 after coming off of a gen 1 Moto X. And I have noticed a problem with notifications. Not all notifications are popping up like they did on my Moto X. My phone is on Android 6.0.1, and I had just done a factory reset to see if that fixed the problem. (It didn't)

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/peeking-android-m.gif

Only notifications from dedicated texting apps are peeking, ones that seem to have custom solutions for replyling to messages like Messages, Hangouts and Skype. But peeks for all other apps don't slide in. Things like the stock Email app Youtube or Discord.

The setting for the feature seems to exist as "Previews in Pop-Ups" in Settings > Notifications > Advanced > [App of Choice] > Previews in Pop-Ups, and it interacts with the previews from the apps that work, it just doesn't generate them for any other apps. (Toggling the setting for Hangouts makes hangouts' peeks no longer show)

Talking with my friend who has a Nexus 5 on 6.0.1, has has all working notifications. I'm not sure why this is happening or what the cause of it is, as googling for forum posts has only shown dead topics with no definite answers.

I talked to a Samsung support fellow, and after an hour of him messing around doing everything I tested before hand, he concluded that the feature as it exists on stock android simply was not available on these phones and a root or 3rd party apps was required.

I'm hoping someone here can shed some light if this is only a problem I am experiencing due to some hidden setting somewhere or something. Or if this is a thing across all samsung phones.

TL;DR peek notifications on my galaxy S7 aren't working outside of dedicated texting apps, and I am wondering if this is how it is on all samsung phones, or if this is a problem unique to my phone.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Each app has to have the feature built in. If the developers don't build it into the app, then the notifications won't peek.

Posted via the Android Central App with my Badass Galaxy S7

Oversized XML

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Would the implementation of notification peeks have to be specific to Samsungs flavor of Android? As apps that worked on my old Moto X dont work on my S7. Even official Google apps.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
This is annoying me too. I cannot get them working either. You have no way to view a notification if you are using the phone without closing out of what you are using and checking. It seems like Samsung removes this.

Oversized XML

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Well thats interesting to know that Samsung seemingly removed a feature from Android. I wonder if previous iterations of Samsungs flavor of Android had working pop-ups.

It would be nice if I could get more people to confirm or longer time users to confirm if this has been an ongoing thing.

In_Good_Grace

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
If I understand this right, you want the notification drop down WHILE using the phone, possibly in another app? Call me crazy, but I believe that apps like Hangouts do this for me.

Oversized XML

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, It's a feature in vanilla Android. But it seems when Samsung renamed the feature from "peeking" to "pop-up" they also changed it to only work with apps that have a special implementation of it, such as Hangouts as it has options for quick reply. But apps that would give a simple pop up like in the .gif I linked in the post in vanilla android are simply unable to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12