What happened to S-Beam?

PA452

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
A few years back I had an S4 and a friend had an S3. If one of us wanted to transfer large videos or pictures across phones, S-Beam would transfer even files of a gig or two at astonishingly fast speeds.

I tried last week to do this with my S7 to another S7, no luck. I know they changed the name and the process, but even when I got it to prompt me with the "Touch screen to beam" or whatever it says, I would immediately get an error saying the file was too large. This was with a single photo taken by the S7 camera.

Is this a problem that can be fixed or is this great feature just no longer working?

Thanks

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Isn't S Beam just WiFi direct rebranded? Just open WiFi Direct on the receiving Samsung phone, then on the sender, share the file via WiFi direct. Or use NFC.

PA452

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Isn't S Beam just WiFi direct rebranded? Just open WiFi Direct on the receiving Samsung phone, then on the sender, share the file via WiFi direct. Or use NFC.

Yep, like I said, I know the name and process changed a little. It's no longer called S-Beam I guess. But the new process isn't working on my phone. Both phones had WiFi and NFC turned on. WiFi direct was established, and the transfer fails every time, saying the file is too large.

PA452

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
There isnt a limitation on mine too. I just moved a 2GB Movie to friend's S5 yesterday.

Hmm. Can I ask what your process was? Like I said, mine is telling me even a photo is too large.

On a side note, ballpark how long would you say the transfer took?

yobil

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Hmm. Can I ask what your process was? Like I said, mine is telling me even a photo is too large.

On a side note, ballpark how long would you say the transfer took?

Make sure that Wi-Fi Direct is enabled on the receiving device. Select the File that you want to transfer> hit Share on the upper right corner> on the lower section tap Nearby Sharing.

File transfer was same with Shareit or even slightly faster.

PA452

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys. Had the chance to try it again today and it worked. I was still using NFC and bumping the backs of the phones together like you used to with S-Beam. I didn't realize that was no longer necessary.

I think I might like the new system a little better actually. Bumping the backs of the phones together I used to think was slightly cumbersome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21