Thinking about switching to iPhone 7

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty tempting especially that I'm up for a jump on demand on t-mobile. New iphone looks good (as did the 6), software is so smooth, I can use all the Google Apps I'm using on my S7, and I want to try something new after all these years of Android.
But the iPhone doesn't have SD card, fast charging, wireless charging, Samsung Pay (which is so nice to have).
Decisions, decisions...

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty tempting especially that I'm up for a jump on demand on t-mobile. New iphone looks good (as did the 6), software is so smooth, I can use all the Google Apps I'm using on my S7, and I want to try something new after all these years of Android.
But the iPhone doesn't have SD card, fast charging, wireless charging, Samsung Pay (which is so nice to have).
Decisions, decisions...

Or Always On Display, or a notification led which I don't think I could do without if I went back to iPhone now

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Or Always On Display, or a notification led which I don't think I could do without if I went back to iPhone now

AoD isn't such an important feature, at least until 3rd party notifications are enabled. Led is negated by the tilt to wake feature in ios10. But I feel you, there's nothing superior in this iPhone. Only thing is a change of scenery...

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Decisions, decisions...

wait till you want to copy your music/photos from/to the iPhone using iTunes and tear your hair apart

Cody Salter

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I went from an iPhone 6S plus to an S7 and I feel the android is a little clumsy in handling some simple tasks. The 3D touch was much better executed in ios10 and I used it a few days before switching, that is definitely something I miss. The notifications in ios 7 are better in my opinion and the widgets have improved too compared to ios 9 too. IPhone has stepped up and part of me wants to go back

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
For me I can't stand not having a back button . I could use a iphone until I need to do something as easy as moving files or downloading and using files on Android for me . For something as easy as connecting to a over head and displaying files is way easier on Android than doing the same on iOS .but if it works better for that is great .I just know on back end things it's easier on Android in my opinion.

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
here is something you may find in researching the new iphone 7, the s7 series camera is still better and so is the display. There are several complaints already of yellowish color displays on the iphone 7....to different degrees as well so one phone may have more or less than another . About the only thing I like about iphones is they still have the metal back and the os does run smooth for sure, if you like customizing your phone you will be disappointed with the options you have

jianrong

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Also thinking of this. But i just come from 6 plus to S7 Edge about half year ago. It going be wasted if i went back. Lol.

Thing going to be missed:
Display & 1440p.
Lighter than 7 plus.
Easy drag paste, downloading file transfer.
Like mini computer.
Change theme easily.
Emulator.
Better lowlight shot.
Fast charging.

7 plus:
More ram, better gpu cpu.
Ios 10.
Camera (but s7 edge is better in lowlight).

Haha, first world problem and ocd.

mcostajr

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4S years ago. My first Android was the Note 2 and I fell in love. Since then I've had the HTC M8, LG V10, Note 5, and 6P. I've loved the customizability and the widgets, the usual things people love about Android. BUT, the performance of each of these phones started to degrade after 5-6 months. With every Android phone I've had I need to perform a FR every couple months.

The other day, just for fun, I fired up my old iPhone 4S, updated it to IOS 9, downloaded most of the apps I use on my Android devices, and the phone ran pretty smoothly and the battery holds a charge for several days. Not so with my Note 2, for instance. I'm starting to get tired of inconsistent performance and inconsistent battery life. My wife has had the iPhone 6 Plus since the day it was released and it performs as well now as it did when she bought it. That is what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'll only be able to find it in an iPhone (even the performance of my 6P has become inconsistent since upgrading to Nougat).

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I ain't going to switch.... S7 is phone of the year in my eyes... since I got mine I can't complain about anything. Battery life is decent, screen is incredible, build is superior, and I can run expandable memory for days... no thanks.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
For me I can't stand not having a back button . I could use a iphone until I need to do something as easy as moving files or downloading and using files on Android for me . For something as easy as connecting to a over head and displaying files is way easier on Android than doing the same on iOS .but if it works better for that is great .I just know on back end things it's easier on Android in my opinion.

Yeah the back button thing is annoying as hell.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from the S7E to the iPhone 7. I was playing around with my boyfriend's i6+ with the iOS 10 update. I was intrigued by the iMessage features they have now (my daughter also has an iPod), so they surprised me with the iPhone 7 over the weekend. Super nice gesture, it's a nice break using iOS for some reason. It's only been a few days, but battery life is amazing compared to my s7e. I don't know if I have a rogue app on there, but I hate to do a factory reset when I just did one a month ago for the same reason. I still have 1 1/2 weeks to return the iPhone 7. I like it, but not sure I can justify keeping it when there was not much wrong with s7e. iMessage is kinda nifty now...kills time at work for sure!!

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The back button seems like such a minor quibble. But when I use my wife's iPhone 6, it drives me nuts not having the back button. Sure, each page has a button to go back to the prior screen but they put it at the TOP of each page. In the original iPhone, with that little 3.5" screen, it made more sense as you could still easily reach the button with one hand. But as screens have gotten larger, it makes it that much more annoying in contrast to having that back button right at the bottom of your screen so close to the location of your thumb. And I use the Back button a lot!

mrcrusha829

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I was also thinking about making the switch as I have been Android camp since the beginning. This is the first time that Apple has actually got me on the fence. Partly because I also have been managing Mac computers at work for the last year or so. One of the things that I think irks me is the way people think that Apple is still innovating. I feel they are constantly playing catch up now these days and play it safe. I do feel that they are leading in software and stability but they also lack many features that Android takes for granted. I think I would be able to get through the day using an iPhone but it definitely would be a huge transition for me. I may take the leap and hold onto my GS7 just in case. One good thing if I didn't like it the resale value of the iPhone is through the roof!

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I preordered the iPhone 7 and I think that it's going back today.

There's a lot that is better on the iPhone - haptic feedback that feels awesome, 3D Touch, reliability of TouchID, dual stereo speakers that are louder and richer sounding, snappiness and aesthetic refinement of iOS, always-on Siri, superior software support (I.e. more frequent OS updates), less aggressive sharpening in photos with rear camera, clearly better front facing camera, better standby battery life.

But there's also a lot that's better on the Samsung - the AMOLED display is just better in every way, the rear facing camera is superior in the vast majority of situations, fast charging is really useful, stereo audio recording in videos is way clearer than the mono recording on iPhone, longer battery life when the phone's actually being actively used, the presence of a back button, the presence of a headphone jack, Android's notification system, Android's file management system, Android's contacts system, the ability to set a custom ringtone.

My particular iPhone 7 suffers from loud hissing sound in videos recorded with the camera. It's very noticeable and clearly faulty hardware. It's quite widespread issue by the looks of it; even the well known YouTube reviewer Erica Griffin has noticed it in her review model.

The problem for me is mostly the additional cost and lack of enough compelling upgrades over the Samsung to justify it. There's a lot that's better but is there £700 worth of upgrades? Even if I sell my Galaxy S7 it'll still be about £450 to upgrade. And quite simply while there's a lot that's great about iPhone, I have come to the conclusion that I don't feel that there's £450 worth of improvements (and indeed even some noticeable regressions).

Last edited:

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I preordered the iPhone 7 and I think that it's going back today.

There's a lot that is better on the iPhone - haptic feedback that feels awesome, 3D Touch, reliability of TouchID, dual stereo speakers that are louder and richer sounding, snappiness and aesthetic refinement of iOS, always-on Siri, superior software support (I.e. more frequent OS updates), less aggressive sharpening in photos with rear camera, clearly better front facing camera, better standby battery life.

But there's also a lot that's better on the Samsung - the AMOLED display is just better in every way, the rear facing camera is superior in the vast majority of situations, fast charging is really useful, stereo audio recording in videos is way clearer than the mono recording on iPhone, longer battery life when the phone's actually being actively used, the presence of a back button, the presence of a headphone jack, Android's notification system, Android's file management system, Android's contacts system, the ability to set a custom ringtone.

In other words, if the Galaxy S or Note line could run authorized & supported ios 10, it would be a great balance? (Though the notifications, file mgmt, contacts would still be a trade off).
Know I'll get heat for this, but do think it would be the top seller if Apple ever starts to go the way of Blackberry.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Decisions, decisions...

I use both a Note 5 and a iPhone 6s and just got a iPhone 7. At the end of the day iOS10 and the iPhone 7 to me is the most refined mobile experience on the planet. All you need to do is swipe the iPhone screen left to right to replace the Android back button.

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Really? That only works on my iPad within certain apps and never takes you back the prior app. For example, go into email and click a link that takes you to the browser. Now try your swipe from left to right to go back to your email - it doesn't work. You have to click on the little button at the very top left of your screen that says <Mail.
But on my Galaxy S7, if I click the same link in email, go to the browser and then click the Back button, I'm back in the original email. I wish the swipe left to right worked in all apps, but it only works within certain apps (mostly core apps) and it never takes you back to the previous app like Android does. Yes, I can click that button in the top left, but as I stated in my previous post it's just a bit more inconvenient to reach all the way across the device vs the button right next to my thumb. Call it personal preference or laziness, maybe a bit of both... :D

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
On 6S+ it was easy to customize whether an individual app could use sound notification and other options. On S7 with 6.01 there are not the same level of control refinement.

iOS Notification Center - shared across Macs - can be a bit too much - feels like an alternative to the BlackBerry Hub services though - is nice. But with Apple I tend to wait six months, for both new hardware and new iOS to iron out their differences - and bugs, and look for 2nd revision and updates.

I don't ;ole to get into a rut which is how I ended up with couple different platforms (Mac and Window 10 as well) and thinking a BB DTEK 60 would be nice.