S7 or Dtek50?

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I've an option of returning my dtek50 and picking up a week old S7 for $50 more.
Should I do this trade?

I know its an odd question - you cannot compare a top of the line phone with a mid range device. But hear me out.
I've been a BB10 user for long and have tried many android phones before ended up with BB android as its the cleanest android OS I could find. Its still not BB10 but at least I can tolerate this version of android (I tried pretty much every android phone there is)

My worries with Galaxy S7:
Quite concerned about the crappy touchwiz UI and heavy bloatware Samsung phones come with. Wife has a S6 and I don't like android on that phone.
But I might try using different launchers and Roms and make it closer to vanilla android. Is there a way to get a cleaner ROM that's close to vanilla android?

Still concerned about BlackBerry Hub, keyboard and other security features.
I actually have no complaints about dtek other than I get an expensive flagship phone for the same price. That's what is tempting
What do u guys think?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
A different launcher will do wonders. As for the custom ROM, it will depend on a few things, mainly the carrier you have. But there are custom ROMs that are based off of AOSP as opposed to TW, and that will get you a look and feel closer to that of vanilla Android. You will lose Samsung features and some widgets, though.

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone use the BB hub, keyboard etc on S7 now that its available for all devices? How do they work? The Hub is a must for me as I use that for all my emails,texts, whatsapp. Is it smooth?

What ROMs are based of AOSP? ROMs like extreme debloated?
I'd like to hear from users who are using non samsung ROMs and how they like it. It will help me to decide whether to even buy S7 or stick with BB Dtek50

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks the new TouchWiz is great? I have not had anything close to a lag or anything of the sorts since getting my s7

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I have Blackberry Hub on my S7. Works great so far!
Good to hear. With the BlackBerry suite do you also get the productivity tab? This is great on my dtek50 - I can swipe from any app to get to emails, contacts and notes.

Also do you have to pay a monthly subscription fee to use the BlackBerry suite of apps?

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I think there is a monthly subscription for additional bb services yeah. Afaik, there is no productivity tab. I used BlackBerry OS on an old playbook I have. I'd still be using BlackBerry if the software had support. I'm interested in the Dtek50 at some point too. But for now I've got my S7 and it works great.

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I think there is a monthly subscription for additional bb services yeah. Afaik, there is no productivity tab. I used BlackBerry OS on an old playbook I have. I'd still be using BlackBerry if the software had support. I'm interested in the Dtek50 at some point too. But for now I've got my S7 and it works great.
Thanks for your reply. I still think BB10 is the best mobile OS by far. Unfortunately due to the lack of apps and BlackBerry's poor marketing it has died.

As I said I don't have any issues as such a with dtek50 so far. The only reason I'm considering the S7 is that I can get one for almost the same price as my dtek50.

But still on the fence...

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I have both. Not huge differences. BlackBerry Hub works but it is the recent that are different. Convenience button.

More storage S7. Nicer screen. However, not a lot. If it was S7E and even $200 extra I could possibly see it. As is, I plan to buy the next BlackBerry (mercury) come March or April.

The S6 us always running warm. I prefer the convenience of wireless charging, and Fingerprint iD.

Once setup identically the S7 was using 22GB vs 14 for DTEK50 which I then had to deal with - both have 128GB SD cards but moving apps can be iffy and a few would run slower even with a 95MB microSD cards.

My plan has been to get Nite6 but that's been squashed this round.

I think I get more screen time on the DTEK50 too.

Enverdaz

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have been using BBM since launching for Android.
I have also been using the BB Hub since it became available.
BB Hub+ suite offers access to almost all of the tools to make an S7, or any Android, function more like a BB device.
I am even debating whether or not to try the BB Launcher, which is available for 99¢/mo
I am currently using Action Launcher 3.8 because I really don't like a cluttered homescreen or how TWs UI is set up. I am also using SwiftKey keyboard rather than the stock Samsung one.
It may take some tweaking and setting up, but it is almost possible to get a near BB experience from most Android phones.

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I might just stick with my dtek50. From the responses here the S7 doesn't look more appealing than the dtek50 functionality wise.
I might spend more time and effort to make the s7 look like BlackBerry android. So I might as well keep what I've now.

I really don't have any complaints about DTek50 anyway other than the lack of fingerprint sensor.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63