What is your battery usage when playing local music?

A

AC Question

When i am playing local music on my galaxy s7 my battery seems to drain more than I would expect from this device. One hour of music playing, with screen turned off and airplane mode turned on, uses about 7% battery (tested both with and without sd card, and with several apps like google play, phonograph, blackplayer). I called the samsung helpdesk about this, but they claim this is normal. When i look at my battery stats, mediaserver seems to be the culprit.

My question how much does 1 hour of playing local music drain your battery?
Has anyone experienced similar issues?

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I guess it would depend on the file format/size. I would expect lossless files to drain the battery quicker than MP3, due to their size and processing required. The lower the bitrate of the MP3 will accentuate the difference. So, it is not really possible to answer your question because of the variables

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You may want to post this in full in the S7 forum for a better chance of a response.I have an S6 Edge and use flac files so not a valid comparison.

BartRom

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
When i am playing local music on my galaxy s7 my battery seems to drain more than I would expect from this device. One hour of music playing, with screen turned off and airplane mode turned on, uses about 7% battery (tested both with and without sd card, and with several apps like google play, phonograph, blackplayer). I called the samsung helpdesk about this, but they claim this is normal. When i look at my battery stats, mediaserver seems to be the culprit.

I mainly play mp3-files (320kbps).

My question is: How much does 1 hour of playing local music drain your battery?
Has anyone experienced similar issues?

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't know the exact amount of battery usage when I listen to local music. But I've noticed that it does seem to be a lot for me too. I listen usually with Bluetooth earphones with the volume cracked on the phone and control the volume with the earphones. I wonder if cranking the volume on the phone has an impact while listening with Bluetooth earphones or speaker. What are you listen to your music with/through? Do you crank the volume on the phone also?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes, mine uses more than I think it should too.... Not sure about the %, but it seems fairly significant if i was listening on a 14 hour flight for example...

BartRom

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Ok, just found the cause. Apparently when you use the uhq-upscaler and other sound effects available in audio settings, it uses a lot of battery. I just turned those options off and now playing an hour of music uses 1-2% instead of 6-7%.2016-09-29 18.00.29.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01