Stock email client and sync email removed from server?

pulgoki

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I've searched around and have not yet found an answer to this question other than "use imap" which is not acceptable in my case.

I have a pop email account that I use my phone to check while I am out of the office. In past phones, including a HTC One M9, and a Samsung Galaxy S3, when I would remove the email from the server, the email would then disappear from the inbox of the email client on my phone. With the S7 this just doesn't seem to be the case.

I know that manually removing these emails from my phone is just a minor inconvenience, but out of curiosity, why does the s7 seem to sync differently than past versions of the phone, and is there any way to duplicate the behavior of past version of the phone?

Any help would be appreciated.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Same with my S7 Active. For some reason as you said, they no longer delete from the phone when you delete from the server. My S6 used to do this. I don't know of any way to make it happen.

pulgoki

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if they just removed an option in the sync settings. I thought that I remembered a setting, possibly was just in my HTC phone, to sync removed email.

pulgoki

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But IMAP behavior does do what you're asking for. My understanding is that POP3 usually doesn't sync server deletions--i.e, if you delete an email on the server, it shouldn't be deleted on the phone. You may be correct--it might have been an additional option that the manufacturer threw in as a feature in the other phones.

pulgoki

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
But IMAP behavior does do what you're asking for. My understanding is that POP3 usually doesn't sync server deletions--i.e, if you delete an email on the server, it shouldn't be deleted on the phone. You may be correct--it might have been an additional option that the manufacturer threw in as a feature in the other phones.

Yes, my frustration is that it used to be an option on Samsung phones as well. My S3 worked in this way and it was very convenient. :)

Having said all of this -

Keep in mind that I am an old dog that don't enjoy learning new tricks. I set the account up on my phone as imap. My work pc is still set to use pop and store the email locally which is very important for me. IMAP is indeed doing what I want it to do. Once my work email client checks the email, it removes it from the server. Then if the email is in my phone client, it gets removed once it is removed from the server. Exactly the behavior that I am looking for. The caveat here, is that I have to make sure that I don't remove the email from my phone email client until its been checked on my work pc. Otherwise I lose that email for good.

Thank you B.Diddy.